Holy Stone HS700

Hi all, I’m a newbie on here at the proud age of 65. Not really sure if this is the right place to post this?
I wonder if anyone has experience with any of the following?
Holy stone hs700
Potensic d85
Mjxrc bug 4 are the ones I had a good look at as a first drone.
Any pointers will be appreciated
Thanks

1 Like

How do youngster!

I would be inclined to ignore the aircraft you have mentioned and aim slightly higher in the price range. Although all may be excellent craft I am not sure of the level of support from either the manufacturers or the flying community. For all DJI’s faults they have become the worlds largest manufacturer through a combination of quality and innovation.

I went down the same road of looking at all kinds of cheap drones, from the cheap ones advertised with pictures taken from another manufacturer to the more expensive machines from lesser-known manufacturers. I eventually spent out on a DJI Mavic Air.

With the new Mavic Mini coming on the market at a £400 price point I would expect the second-hand prices of DJI kit to come down. And after Christmas, when some people have lost interest in their shiny new presents there may be bargains to be had.

The Mavic family make excellent first drones and you won’t quickly “outgrow” them or wish for more capability from them.

Others may differ!

2 Likes

Thank you for that macspite, I’ll have a look at those mavic ones too!!

Sage advice from @macspite.

Here are my thoughts.

The models you referenced, @Sundowner, may have reasonable flying characteristics but I think you’ll find that the photo/video capabilities will be sadly lacking. They all have a fixed camera mounting (no stabilisation)and low grade optics, and I’d take the claimed resolutions with a pinch of salt.

I’ll admit I’m not the greatest fan of DJI but with their latest release I would encourage any newcomer to invest a little more cash and go for the Mavic Mini. The features this little drone offers over the ones you’ve listed actually make it more economically viable in the long run. Also if you decide further down the line that you want to upgrade, or if owning a drone is not for you, you will be able to recoup a greater percentage of the original cost solely because it’s a “DJI” .

Regards

Nidge

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for throwing my drone plans out of the window @Nidge!!!
I now want it, but now, right now. Can’t even stop watching YT videos.
Now, can I hit you for the extra £100 I need? Just a poor pensioner here​:joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

I started with a Holy Stone 100, it has no gimble making video very jerky, never the less I still use it, I have moved up to a Mavic Air a first class bit of kit giving better results and much easier to fly than my HS 100 and the batterys on the HS take hours to charge, buy the best that you can afford and enjoy it anyway.

1 Like

Likewise, @Sundowner, I’m a poor pensioner too, but a poor pensioner whom became a poor pensioner at 49years old. I maybe skint and my body broken beyond repair (even with my soldering skills) but I couldn’t be happier, even if a little unbalanced. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::crazy_face::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::crazy_face::crazy_face:.

Seriously though for the extra £100 you’ll get a product that is exponentially superior in every way.

Regards

Nidge.

1 Like

It depends on what you want a drone for mate. If photo and video definately aim for a DJI model.

If just for the fun of flying the DJI stuff basically fly there self and theres no real progression in honing your skills like the old RC days. Some of the cheaper stuff are more satisfying in that regard.

I’ve got an MJX bugs 3 I bought for my daughter and it’s an absolute blast to fly but useless for video.

@Nidge, couple of hours on this forum and I already found another “slightly unhinged” brother of the pensioner’s order. I like it here already😎
Seriously now, when is this mini marvel of a drone expected to hit the UK market?

1 Like

Well I believe Amazon UK are claiming to be shipping after the 12th of this month. Be wary though, this drone thing can be a little addictive. If you click my Forum Avatar you’ll see the depths of depravity it can drag you down to.

Nidge.

1 Like

@Nidge
Checked your avatar, if my mini doesn’t arrive soon can I hit you for one of yours??:laughing::laughing::laughing:

1 Like

Mine are all “Vintage” technology and not what the cool and hip kids are craving today. I suppose that’s why I end up paying very little for them as they depreciate faster than an Alfa Romeo after leaving the show room.

Nidge.