How to get smooth Panning

Hi All
I managed to get some local footage before lockdown and wanted to practise a new (free) vid editor. I have been trying to get to grips with Lightworks. That is one story - slow progress but OK for now.
However, what I am struggling with is juddery (jumpy?) panning shots. I have the mavic mini and whilst forward going runs seem acceptable (?), any side pans or shots on the turn are just not smooth at all.
So, am I expecting too much from the mini, is it just bad flying, or is it maybe just my machine at fault.
Thoughts welcome, cheers. Link to the vid:
https://youtu.be/UKY6YmYqHWs

1 Like

is this the footage from the drone or after processing, if the later then try to put it through a video editor, this should go some way to improving it.

You’ve rendered @ 30fps. Was the original video also recorded at 30fps on the Mavic Mini?

hi Steve
I put the ‘sequence’ together in Lightworks video Editor - it is free, but seems quite sophisticated. Having said that, looking at the original clips before editing they are pretty smooth, so something could be going wrong in my use of the software and or rendering. My PC is certainly struggling to manage the editing process. Maybe I need a new PC (ha wife would love that suggestion :expressionless:)

1 Like

Dave, yes I shot at 29.7 or whatever it is. But if you see my reply to Ozonevibe there is something wrong in the editing/rendering stage because the original footage seems quite good?
Think I need to work at this without trying to be clever with clips and music and sort out the rendering side of the process?

1 Like

What are your render settings, I normally render at YouTube 1080p , it seems ok, I use devinci but it does require a fairly good computer to work effectively

1 Like

Sounds to me that you need to also look at your Camera movement settings and slow them all down, also would apply the same to your yaw speed settings as well, so that your turns are slower.
@ianinlondon has some good videos on this on his YouTube channel.
Is the drone in Cinematic mode?, as that is the best setting for videos on the Mavic Mini.

you could use waypoints , to let the drone do the movements for you. this will smooth the camera footage out

1 Like

You are overlooking the actual nature of his problem.

Yes, I think I am rendering at that too - but I will have to play with settings to see if I can make a difference. I am thinking maybe my PC cannot handle the editing software.
And, re waypoints … foriegn language to me at this stage. Will come to that later. :thinking:

1 Like

Thanks for the link Chris - I will check that out. I have used cinematic and it is better, however this clip was in P mode (there is a quickened up bit that I achieved by doubling the film speed - just experimenting). Having said that, the original footage is way better than what I achieved after the edit on Lightworks.
Didn’t know I could change yaw settings on the mini?

1 Like

Not sure what settings are available on the Mini, as opposed to it’s bigger brothers so to speak.
Maybe I should get mine out of it’s box at last, seeings as it’s been there since the release date!.:rofl:
Could this go down as the longest unboxing ever!.

2 Likes

Me too - got a Mini at Xmas and really need to get it out and fly it. Formation with the Air would be cool. Whole family in self-isolation at the moment as Domestic Gold Commander has the lergie, so now would be a good time

Cheers

1 Like