How to guide: Roll back the firmware on an Autel Evo 2

For some reason, drone manufacturers seem insistent on us running the latest firmware on our drones.

None of them are keen on allowing you to choose which firmware version you want to run with.

Thankfully, the guys at https://drone-hacks.com worked out what was required in order to roll back to an earlier firmware version and this post aims to be a very easy to follow guide on how you can roll your Autel Evo II firmware back to any version you like.

No technical knowledge is required, it’s a very easy mod. If you can copy and paste some files to a MicroSD card, you’re in business.

I’ll start this guide with the caveat that when rolling back any firmware you should not skip a version. It might be a pain in the arse to get back to where you want to be, but you should roll back sequentially, version-by-version.

I was driven to write this guide due to the drifting issues that were introduced with the Evo 2 firmware v2.5.0 and while Autel have acknowledged the problem and are working on a fix, most of us can’t wait that long so this guide will show you how to roll back to the previous v2.3.3

The roll back principal is the same for any Evo 2 firmware version.

First up, before you do anything, you’ll need to download a few files.

The first file is the firmware version you want to roll back to (eg. v2.3.3) and the second file is a force_upgrade and the third file is a qiangzi_shengji file which is required to start the roll back process.

Both files, including every Evo 2 firmware version ever released, can be found here:

{DOWNLOAD FROM THE MEMBERS ONLY CATEGORY }

With your two files downloaded simply copy the firmware file to the root of your MicroSD card.

Then open the ZIP file and copy the force_upgrade and the qiangzi_shengji file to the root of your MicroSD card too.

Do not put these files inside any sub-folders and do not rename either of the files. You also must ensure no file-extension gets added to the force_upgrade or the qiangzi_shengji file as you extract it from the zip.

When done, the contents of your MicroSD card should simply look like this:

You may have other folders in there with your photos and videos as well and these are fine to leave in place, as long as these two files are in the root folder.

The force_upgrade file and the qiangzi_shengji file is the key ingredient here. If you only put an older firmware file on the card, the drone will see it’s an older version that the one currently installed and it’ll simply gloss over it and do nothing.

Both files on the card now?

That’s it, you’re ready to go.

To perform the forced firmware roll back, first ensure that your controller is not connected to your phone or tablet.

Turn the controller on.

With the controller powered up (and not connected to any devices) you can then put the MicroSD card in to the drone.

Now power on the drone.

The controller display will change to “Downloading firmware”.

Then it’ll quickly change to “Upgrading firmware”

Yes, it will say upgrading, even though it’s technically downgrading :grimacing:

This stage will take about 7 minutes.

When done, the controller will briefly say “Checking”

With the checks complete it will then start to downgrade the firmware on the controller.

This is quite quick, taking just a minute or two:

When done, you’ll see the following message:

That’s it, you’re all done.

Simply turn off the drone and the controller, fire them back up and you’re good to go!

Some things to note…

During the downgrade process your Evo will reboot three or four times. This is perfectly normal. The lights on the drone will also change colour, and change sequence, at various stages of the process. Again, perfectly normal.

I recorded the downgrade process so you can see what the lights on the drone do, along with the various messages you’ll see on the controller:

The entire downgrade process will take around 12 minutes.

Any questions? Just ask :+1:t2:

6 Likes

Thanks again to the guys at Drone Hacks for cracking this one and working out what was required to force a rollback.

Don’t forget that Grey Arrows Drone Club members are eligible for an exclusive discount deal with Drone Hacks (details can be found in the #members-only category).

1 Like

An unusual observation on the Autel Explorer flight app is that it doesn’t tell you the firmware version of your drone :man_shrugging:

Instead, Autel have chosen to list the firmware version of each module instead.

Therefore, in order to confirm that you’ve rolled back from v2.5.0 down to v2.3.3 successfully, your module versions should be:

If you’re running v2.5.0 then your firmware versions will be higher.

Like so:

Why they don’t just say v2.3.3 or v2.5.0 in the app itself is anyones guess :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Hi - I desperately need to downgrade my evo 2 firmware from the one just released this march as it is causing so many issues. The download link to access the force update file does not seem to work, or is it me.

Is it still possible to revert to previous firmwares?

I think they plugged this rollback trick on v2.5.18

I’m guessing you didn’t read the part about reading the FAQ?

The download link still works, but as a new member you don’t have access to it yet.

Thanks - yes I did read the FAQ and read about 50 posts and then was messaged that I was now basic member trust level 1. Is that not enough, sorry for being mistaken. Anyway I have accessed the file elsewhere and the latest Evo firmware version and the one before that cannot be downgraded. I have this now confirmed via autel pilots forum. Big shame as I now have a 2k drone which points and films south at every waypoint unless it RTH and then it flies dead straight. I have recalibrated many times and it still does it. If you have an EVO 2 DO NOT UPGRADE AS THERE IS NO UNDOING IT!

A bit strange on the download qualification requirement. I am on the latest version that screwed up the stop-start mission recording and it sounds as if I am wasting my time chasing down a solution past it’s shelve life. I don’t understand why Autel refuses to address and correct these major issues and literally brick their drones. Pretty please Mommy may I?

1 Like

Hi @monkeybark

Autel put the blockers on this rollback mod after v2.5.18 which was released 22/12/20.

Previous versions can be still be rolled back using this method but once they introduced the “activation” changes in 2.5.18 the rollback is no longer possible.

Thanks for the explain Rich. My EVO 2 is one of my favorite drones for recorded missions because of the longer flight time. I use it to monitor fencing that run along wood lines. These areas are hard to access and vulnerable to fallen trees and limbs. I keep the recordings to review wear patterns for maintenance. After this last update, the entire flight has to be recorded which creates 2-3 video files in place of one. Due to hills and elevation the areas are outside of transmitter range and need to run autonomously. It was perfect until this last update.

1 Like