Hubsan 501s air new beginnings

Hello fellow “Quadopterists” I have the Hubby 501s ,well to be fair this is number 3 .The first one auto landed ,low trans battery on rth it just disappeared in a forest ,number 2 was a reconditioned one for £25 all in ,it went into a death spin and hit the ground so hard it snapped one of its arms off ,no3 was my own fault again i had a bag full of battys and yes i got carried away again chasing a friends race quad and transmitter batty went down ,so down in the forest again never to be found .My question is has anyone fitted a buzzer to the 501 ,i can fly honest dont have this trouble with the wot4 .chris

2 Likes

To be honest, the two drones that I’ve owned both had that function built in. You have to be in range to be able to enable it.
I’m sure there will be contractions that would do what you ask, I just don’t know any.

But, I’m very impressed how many drones you have goth through :wink:

Every time I almost lost my drones, made me change the way I fly them. But I must say that the risky flights are the ones that usually bring the most impressive videos/photos.

Hello there ,yes enthusiasm sometimes overtakes my quad driving ability :grinning:. i suppose i have left it late to get into the fpv ,but if i buy enough of them i must get better sooner or later surely ,thats my excuse anyway ,plus i can slip a new quad in to the “Hangar” a lot easier than i can say a 50inch aerobatic plane without the catering staff ," wife" going ballistic .I like the 501s for its unique view of the area ,everything looks different from a hundred or so feet up . If i work out how i will post up some of my flying vids if any one is interested ,i have everything from my catalina flying off grass ,to an fms super ez flying off a local lake ,plus a few fpv flights. chris

2 Likes

Absolutely, Chris,

I’m not great pilot myself. Just learning along the way. I mean, look at this post:

I guess for me is more of if I would of loose it, there is no way that my wife would not find out that I purchased another one.

But yes, it’s a great hobby (same of the weather constrainings). I love seen things from above and photograph them.

As per videos and photos, I think we are always eager here to see content. You need to upload it onto YouTube or Vimeo and post the link here:

That’s all. Looking forward to see some of it.

I lost 2 109’s High Edition and I still believe these were genuime flyaways, one lost all signal at approx 800 metres range, 75m alt, fully charged, and just kept on its course (full throttle) never to be found, rth my @$$, the other nose dived into a resevoir despite full lift on the stick, again plenty of battery on handset and quad. Bought another, but NEVER had any trust in it and hardly flew for fear of another loss. Sold it and bought M2Z, never looked back…

1 Like

I used to have the Mavic air 1, and was great. When the signal was lost always initiated the rth. No issues like that (the range of the battery and the remote weren’t great). Since I upgraded to the mavic air 2, is another story. No range issues and battery lasts a lot longer.

The only time I nearly lost my 501S was in an open field - it self landed unexpectedly in long grass about 300 metres away. But both GPS readings were still on the transmitter screen and I was able to walk straight to it. Phew! But I never got near flattening the transmitter battery. Using the basic H901A transmitter I generally got three flights from a charge. Even so, if the drone loses the transmitter signal it should return home - easily tested by momentarily switching off the transmitter. But if it’s too low and hits something, or it loses GPS, or the drone battery dies before it gets back - oops!

I thoroughly enjoyed my 501S, but soon moved up to a Fimi A3 to get a gimballed camera, slightly more range but still a built in screen (I don’t have a smart phone). Similar flight duration to the 501S (15-20 minutes). Does a good job and the 1080p video and higher resolution stills are pretty good… I don’t know how people manage with the huge files from 4K cameras. Screen was a bit dim, but addition of a sunshade and a small electronic mod sorted that. Like the 501S the screen also shows both GPS coordinates, but really not to a fine enough resolution. Only changes every 100 metres or so - needs at least one more decimal place.

Keep flying!
Cheers
Peter

Great little drone the Hubsan 501. When I first got mine two or three years ago I went straight on the park and straight up, things really do look different from above. Since then I have gained my PfCO and A2 C of C and learnt to to a site survey and risk assessment of the area where I am flying. This doesn’t have to be a heavy in depth paper exercise for recreational flying but you will get into a habit of checking for wind gusts, obstacles that might block the signal, and anything that could make the flight not as safe as it should be. This practice will start to limit the areas one might want to fly, but it will also limit the risk of losing your drone. Happy & Safe flying again and again Captain, “over and out”.

Hello Ernie ,as soon as i saw 109s on your post i went into" Battle of Britain "mode ,i didn’t realize they are quads. :laughing: Electronics are absolutely brilliant when working properly ,but the quads are so reliant on tech ,that once something glitches ,you need a masters degree to work out what happened. i am still quite happy with the 501s at the moment, usually i fly it about 3ft off the ground,with the camera angle it looks like its doing 100 mph. chris

Although I have a DJI Mavic Mini I still regularly fly my Hubsan H501S-S. The Mini is a superb drone but the 501 is a lot quieter, easier to see and with the GPS turned off seriously fast. It was cheap to buy and therefore I am less concerned if it crashes or flys away. A much underrated drone.

1 Like