Hurst Castle and Keyhaven Lake | FPV Long Range

One of the most difficult shot I have ever taken, due to the early (very early) Spring light conditions.
It was 10:30 am but the sun was still quite low, and the video was recorded in a single flight.
GoPro Hero 8 back, 2.7k 60fps, ND16 filter.

“Hurst Castle is an artillery fort established by Henry VIII on the Hurst Spit in Hampshire, England, between 1541 and 1544. It formed part of the king’s Device Forts coastal protection programme against invasion from France and the Holy Roman Empire, and defended the western entrance to the Solent waterway. The early castle had a central keep and three bastions, and in 1547 was equipped with 26 guns. It was expensive to operate due to its size, but it formed one of the most powerful forts along the coast. During the English Civil War of the 1640s, Hurst was held by Parliament and was used briefly to detain King Charles I before his execution in 1649. It continued in use during the 18th century but fell into disrepair, the spit being frequented by smugglers.”

10 Likes

Good to see the progress on the repairs after last year’s collapse of part of the castle walls.

… a year ago …

1 Like

“Long Range” is a good way to avoid the ire of the English Heritage guys at the castle. They may still have been annoyed, but there’s nothing they could do about it.
I’ve always flown there very early or late when the castle is all closed.

1 Like

What’s the out/back range of your “Long Range” drones?

If it’s 4+ miles, you could reach the Needles Lighthouse from the same take-off point. :wink:

1 Like

With low wind, I can get close to 4 miles. However, my confot zone is around 3 miles and I try to stay on the safe side.
I got to Fort Albert, across the channel on the Isle of Wight. But it was just a test as I had never been there before.

I’ve always wanted to land my MP on the Needles Lighthouse heli-pad … but, with DJI kit sometimes disliking large amounts of steel, I’ve never got around to it.

FPV would definitely be a better option for that excursion.

Crossed to the IoW from the end of Hurst Spit, and crossed at a few other points to the east … Lepe to Cowes being the longer one.

Great vid, always enjoy flying here! What quad were you using?

@andreab Andrea, nice to see this. I grew up in Lymington and came here many times. Not been back down there for a while. Will have to get to it sometime.

2 Likes

Thanks @richardmarsh888, it’s a Rekon5 6s with some changes:

• props
  • vtx
  • antenna
  • rx
  • tuning
1 Like

I had an amazing flight at Hurst Spit yesterday evening… Has to be the best location for me so far! :heart_eyes:

I’ve seen Hurst Castle many times whilst on the ferry you’ve saved me the need to visit,Thank you superb flight !

Could be good for an International flight to IoW this evening …

:smiling_imp:

1 Like

Or from Lepe International Airport. :joy:

Indeed … most of today and tomorrow looks reasonable …

… but who believes forecasts?

This appeared (briefly) for next Tuesday …

72mm in one day? :rofl:

… to be replaced with something less unlikely …

Those two screenshots were just over an hour apart! :man_facepalming:

Amazing video. Lovely flying - this is why I would like a long ranger cruiser FPV.

Most jealous, but thank-you for sharing. My bank balance may not agree.

This is a little video from my Instagram account recently at Hurst Spit

https://www.instagram.com/p/CwOeoC-IcXG/