Hythe Ferry - Added to Everything Else in South East

I have just added this to the map of places to fly your drone at Drone Scene:

Land owner permission not required.

The Hythe Ferry sails daily between Hythe and Southampton Town Quay providing a car free, carefree, and fun trip for all ages and the chance to enjoy the sights and sounds of the bustling port of Southampton.

You can park in the Marina or on the road outside. I paid £2 and parked in the marina. I took off from the rocks by hand just by the anchor and benches.

The originator declared that this location was not inside a Flight Restriction Zone at the time of being flown on 31/05/2024. It remains the responsibility of any pilot to check for any changes before flying at the same location.

5 Likes

Interesting… As it’s private property I asked MDL Marinas who own the site last year to carry out some flying and they refused.

1 Like

I took off from the rocks by hand. I understand your point and people could get confused. I will change it to not known as you can take off from the shore which is not part of the marina. Or even go to the main road and fly from the public slip way next to the ferry. Either way not difficult to fly there.

1 Like

I live down the road from Hythe, I have my good spots… :wink: :grinning:

1 Like

I’m sure you do. :wink: :+1:

I want to fly here @StunningDrone, have you got any other tips or advice?

1 Like

Hi William, Only other tip would be it’s also a good place to film all the cruise ships coming and going from the port. I would check which ships are moving and film them along with the Hythe ferry. To be fair there is lots of places to park and TOAL from. Maybe @HantsFlyer who lives really close can add any other advice on that specific location. Hope this helps.

1 Like

@wrsdrone@StunningDrone is correct re plenty of places to TOAL from… The Promenade is another good TOAL location with great view out to Southampton Water. There’s also the former public slipway behind the Parish Council office along St John’s Street.

Hythe does come with a warning though especially regarding the feathered type…

Many properties around the waterfront have flat roofs and this is the ideal nesting and breeding grounds for seagulls. It’s an extremely busy residential area for them and they will if given the opportunity go for your drone.

Along Shore Road is another very good TOAL location that’s ideal for shipping footage and if you’re really brave a fly over to Netley Castle.

1 Like