Implementing 'virtual ND effect' in post

Having read more about the use of ND filters to allow a slower shutter speed, to achieve the 2:1 ratio of shutter speed and frame rate, to get the best, smooth motion blur, it occurs to me that this should be something which could be achieved without an ND filter by using a video processing algorithm in post production to motion blur between successive frames at whatever level you want.

Does anyone know if this feature is available in any video editing suites, such as Premiere Pro for example?

I don’t have Premiere Pro, I use Cyberlink Powerdirector365, but if it’s available somewhere there’s a chance it’s available as a plug-in if we know what it’s called.

When there is a lot of light and the shutter speed is very short, the video becomes very sensitive to vibrations resulting in a jello effect on the video which is very unpleasant and renders the video unusable.
On a bright sunny day where the camera is pretty maxed out trying not to overexpose, the only solution would be to pop on an ND filter which allows the camera to open the shutter longer and gives you a fighting chance to elimate the jello.

i realised i didn’t answer your question. if found a plug in for after effects here but never have tried it and not sure how well it works.

i was just pointing out that i use ND filters to reduce jello more so than getting the dramatic blur. unless i’m going for a really speedy look i like my videos crisp. also, doing post stabilisation like real steady or gyroflow, you don’t want too much blur as it messes with the algorithm.

That’s interesting. I wasn’t aware that the DJI cameras used ‘rolling shutter’ technology and so suffered from the jello effect. My question did not take that into account as, as far as I know, you can’t easily get rid of jello in post.

I knew I’d seen a video about this recently, I’ve just gone through my history and found this….
https://www.diyphotography.net/can-you-spot-which-video-has-fake-motion-blur/

Or get a drone that gives you aperture control :wink:

1 Like

That’s really interesting, thanks. I could not spot the real motion blur.

This is all new to me but as it turns out Vegas Pro does have a built in tool for motion blur, the down side in my opinion is having to adjust it’s levels every time you change your shutter speed, “easier said than done”

It’s very much depends on what looks right to your eye, which may not look right to some of your audience, worth a play with though.

I wonder how it would work when you have yawed really fast which introduces blur to your videos and then try adjusting that to look natural, possibility of difficulties….

I’m asking myself if it’s worth spending an hour or two adjusting for motion blur or just get a full range of ND filters.

I’ll definitely have a play in Vegas….

1 Like

FWIW I would always prefer spending an extra 10 minutes in the field choosing an appropriate ND filter than an extra hour or two in front of a computer :innocent: