Ineos Petrochemical Plant and Refinery - Added to Everything Else in Scotland

I have just added this to the map of places to fly your drone at Drone Scene:

Land owner permission not required.

This is Scotland’s only crude oil refinery and has the capacity for processing 140,000 barrels (22,000 m3) of crude oil a day on its 700 hectare site in Grangemouth. It is currently undergoing the process of being turned into an oil terminal for the for the import, storage and distribution of a range of Fuels. All refinery production is expected to close around 2027 with mass redundancies. There are plenty of places to park, I will highlight my TOAL for this shot. There is LOTS of security, so be prepared to be questioned if your TOAL is close to any of their buildings.There is also LOADS of interference if you get too close and I wouldn’t recommend you flying directly overhead. Unfortunaley on my trip, none of the towers were emitting any steam. But when they are the site is pretty impressive

The originator declared that this location was not inside a Flight Restriction Zone at the time of being flown on 31/03/2024. It remains the responsibility of any pilot to check for any changes before flying at the same location.

5 Likes

Highlighted the exact two things I was going to add;

Security and interference.

I walk down here regularly with the dog and they frequently patrol in the pickups (they drive all the way down to their fence line by the water treatment works)
Will absolutely challenge you if seen, they usually aren’t the politest lot tbh.

For it closing large parts of the plant will be staying online, the part closest to you from these shots is not closing. That is FPS, the import system from the north sea forties pipeline.

Petroinoes refinery and Ineos O&P ethanol plant are earmarked for closure so far.
FPS, power stations, KG and the jetties are all remaining for now. Its a huge site, very impressive at night from above!

I rather cheekily parked right outside the security gate on the other side a couple years ago. Just beside the housing estate. I wanted to see how long security would take. Less than 2 minutes later a van pulled up beside me with the usual “you cant fly that here” The security guard in this instance was quite polite and professional, so I responded the same. He eventually admitted he was powerless to stop me, I showed him my photos and then he told me a few places not so far away where I’d be able to get better shots. Perhaps I just got one of the few good ones? I understand their purpose and that they have a job to do, but it’s all in the approach.

1 Like