Inspire 1 + Zenmuse XT Thermal counting deer

Well guys, I took the plunge and purchased a second hand 6k Zenmuse XT (and free inspire 1 :slight_smile: ) from the USA and it arrived today! Im not disappointed! I put it straight to use counting deer on the estate I look after. Normally we might count 30 in an evening from the ground and have to guess at the ones we didnt see, but tonight… I counted 75 confirmed bambi!

All footage taken at 120m above ground!

8 Likes

If nothing else, I’m now going to have that annoying/catchy tune in my head all night! :wink:

3 Likes

Could you map a flight in Litchi to cover the estate and take static photos - then use AI to count the deer in the photos?

1 Like

Yes I think so! I’d use something like QGIS or ArcGIS to then catagorise the map by pixel size and colour. There is a raster image classification tool in Arc GIS for such things, hopefully also in QGIS free software.

The really tricky bit however is distinguishing a hare from a roe deer at 120m height!

Or fly lower and see how fast they run. :wink: j/k

Drop to 60m and have it take twice the amount of photos :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nice!

Out of curiosity what’s the purpose of counting the deer mate?

1 Like

No eye deer. :rofl:

4 Likes

Oh deer :pensive:

3 Likes

Hi @callum I manage the deer for the estate, I also run a commercial deer stalking and other shooting company, but I need to ensure the population is managed sustainably so I’m keen to know how many deer we have, what condition they’re in year on year etc.

2 Likes

www.gunsandrovers.co.uk

Why not, I’ll plug it! :slight_smile:

1 Like

download :point_left::point_left:

2 Likes

That makes sense mate.

I’d love to try deer stalking. For years I thought about getting FAC but wouldn’t know where to start in finding somewhere I could shoot.

1 Like

I can help with that mate, you dont need an FAC to go on a guided shoot.

1 Like

Guns and Rovers. Very good! I approve! :+1::+1:

2 Likes

I used to be in to target shooting in my teens, rim fire and L98A2 with cadets, won a few competitions.

Where are your guided shoots based. Something I’d be interested in.