Interiors - anyone flying indoors

Just wondering if anyone else is flying indoors with M2P or similar, not racing drones

Tried it once for a relative who wanted some indoor footage of an industrial unit. It didn’t go well. I dare say with lots more practice I’d get the hang of it, but even in a big space, a uniformly bland floor and no GPS meant there was loads of drift… and the wash coming back from the structures was ridiculous.

Coincidentally, got a PolarPro Katana delivered this morning. I don’t have the spends for a gimbal rig (and DSLR upgrade), but I’m hoping the £45 for this will give me some options for places I wouldn’t normally be able to use the Mavic.

https://www.polarprofilters.com/products/katana-mavic-2

2 Likes

I’m looking at one of those.

I’d say an osmo on a pole would be a better safer option.

https://www.compositepoles.co.uk/products/carbon-fibre-13-mtr-pole-for-dslr-camera/20

Who needs a drone ?.

1 Like

had a katana since june and used a few times, pretty good footage, really good for pans, takes a bit of getting used to if walking with it as still get a bit of bounce but practice walking and limits that.

1 Like

And only 8 x the price for the Osmo Pocket :wink:

Have just had a wander around the house with the Katana. Going to have to practice walking so you can’t see the footsteps, but I gather that’s a thing for most handheld rigs. Smooth and steady seems to be the way.

The wheels and buttons on the shoulders are easily reached, which is a nice feature.

Couple of immediate gripes/comments:

• With the arms folded in, the rear LEDs are facing forwards. They can’t be turned off, so you’ll see them flashing in anything reflective. The drone fits in the cradle okay with the rear arms extended, which mostly solves the problem… or a bit of electrician’s tape would do.

• The IMU wasn’t too happy being carried about, and eventually it wanted to be calibrated. But once it was out of the Katana and back under its own steam it sorted itself out.

For less than £50 it’s not a bad little addition to the kit bag at all. With practice, it should allow me to get some pretty smooth ground/indoor footage from the same camera as aerial shots.

Anyway, sorry @lee - sort of hijacked your thread with vaguely-related stuff. I shall shut up now :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ive used the drone ‘handheld’ with some great results.

I was thinking more for getting in the corners and up high ;o)

1 Like

no carry on, I brought one for tighter spaces that I’m not happy flying in, especially after dropped the M2P on my wifes head. oops!

we combine M2P with slider and nikon z7 and an osmo at the moment, looking at a osmo action and a ronin s as next purchases

1 Like

all footage n this is M2P, got smoother since this as well, pan shots in bedroom and bathroom using katana

2 Likes

new video that is in post edit now is amazing, even if I say so myself

1 Like

Very nice. That’s a whole lot more stable than I managed in doors… and you didn’t hit any of the
doorframes either :wink:

1 Like

Theres a knack to it mate.

You want to keep your knees slightly bent and your legs tense while you walk. Keep your steps smooth going from heel to ball of foot and use your legs to compensate for height change with each step.

You will feel like a complete idiot but it becomes less awkward and almost second nature.

1 Like

yep no some full time handycam pros that literally train themselves to walk differently

1 Like

Continuing the discussion from Interiors - anyone flying indoors:

haha bit smoother now, as said the new vid is amazing, although bigger rooms help as well.

1 Like

£955 from HobbyMounts !!!