iPad mini 2 with DJI Fly app?

I use either a Huawei mediapad m5 lite or iPad mini 5 , I think the iPad mini 4 is the starting point , if you get a iPad try and get WiFi and sim as you need a SIM card in to get the gps , you don’t have to register the sim I use a free one I just put in and forget it , to be fair the Huawel did suffer badly with some of the updates for awhile but that was then but with the latest updates it’s been fine .

Never not got gps without a sim on my Wi-Fi only iPad minis, it’s just the maps that don’t show and I can pre upload them if needed.

1 Like

I’m glad you are getting some use out of it. I just dug out an ex-work mini2 tablet. Apparently they don’t want it back. Getting it working again, with the right apps, took all blooming day. I was going to try it at the weekend cos hubby does not like using a phone screen and I certainly can’t afford the tablets advised!

2 Likes

Yes it’s a thing with iPad that to get the gps to work they must have a SIM card in , as I said I only have a free sim that I put in I’ve never registered it or anything it’s just a card in the slot but that kicks in the gps , I do tether it to my phone via the WiFi hotspot and it gives perfect gps . The battery on the iPad mini 5 does not last anywhere near as long as the Huawei mediapad m5 lite though .

1 Like

I bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 which fits the controller just fine with an extender and its not too top heavy either.

Resolution is ok for what i need and much better than trying to use my mobile. I think you can get it on amazon for about £120

OOOOOOOH Matron!

I’m in the same boat , trying to find an iPad to replace my phone, when I’m flying I put it in plane mode, can I use a WiFi only iPad or do I need a sim iPad just for the fly app?
I use a mini 2 WiFi for my Mavic 2 pro without any issues, it running latest iOS updates

You can use either but if you want the gps to work you have to use a WiFi and sim one , you don’t need any data on the sim I just use a free pay as you go that’s not even registered but you have to have a sim in the slot to activate the gps , from memory I think it’s iPad mini 4 and above , I use iPad mini 5th gen with no problems

hmm yes i searched the internet long last night and finally settled for an ipad 5th gen. wifi, im not too fussed about the GPS, ive been using a mini 2 for my Mavic 2 Pro for ages but the dji Fly app was glitching on that so fancied something i could use both apps on and not have to carry two ipads around.
most of if not all the apps on the ipad have been removed im using the GO4 app for the Pro .
thanks for the info its much appreciated

1 Like

You are welcome, I have a dedicated iPad mini 5 WiFi and sim just for go 4 , fly app and the other drone apps but nothing else on it and it works well although battery life is not that great , I do use the gps for the live maps and compass. I also have the same dedicated set up on a Huewai mediapad m5 lite that’s better than the iPad as battery life is far far better and it’s lighter but it doesn’t always like the fly app updates

Hi
I’ve got the chance to buy a brand new I pad mini 2 ( cheap ) on the net it says iOS 11 or later to run the dji fly app which that ticks that box,is this a bit dated in terms of capability to keep up with the drone these days MA2,as it will be a new install of the latest dji fly app release which I have not tried, as I’m using an older app version on my phone as I don’t want to update or at least at the moment,as this version I’m on the two earlier versions I think prior to the latest app update wrk fine with drones firmware ! :wink:
Any help appreciated

As already said on the thread the iPad mini 2 is likely to struggle. You’ll also find it difficult to get an older version of the DJI fly app without jail breaking it and even then it might be difficult to obtain.

Yes I just found out a while ago it was a bargain but it’s ok I’ll get a 5th ….
Never mind

I’ve tried the mini 2 using the fly app, even with the latest iOS update it struggles with video lag and connectivity at distances. I’m presently using a reconditioned iPad 5, bigger screen, occasionally it drops connectivity at further distances but it suits my use perfectly, screen is clearly visible in sunlight… I also have an Air 2 iPad which is sufficient too

I’m gonna get I pad mini 5 - I was buying the new 6 but they have problems called jelly scrolling which will do my nut in :laughing: I’ll get a 5 cellular I’m sure it’ll be ok - I would get android but I’m so used to iOS now so I like to stick with what I know …. ( which some times isn’t a lot ) hence why I ask the questions if I can’t find a certain answer about 100 times a day ! Jokes aside

Lol. To be honest I’ve used the iPad mini 2 for years , even my Mavic 2 pro flies some greater distances and connectivity is perfect using the GO4 app. But the FLY app is something different. My iPad 5 has both app on it and works great for either, but I tend to keep the mini2 iPad for the M2P and the Mini 2 on the iPad 5.
DJI was designed to work with Apple so why complicate things even though Androids are compatible. If I’m flying distances at night I want something reliable that it bring my drone back.

So you think I’ll be allright with the 5th gen flying mavic air 2 with the fly app,Thankyou for your input & help :+1:t2:

I’ve got 2 iPad mini 5th gen and I use the fly app for my min2 and air 2S and go 4 for the M2P and never had any problems the only thing I would say is the eat the battery pretty quick and you need a Matt screen protector for bright full on sun

@scottydog
Thankyou for your reply