iPad mini 2 with DJI Fly app?

Hi, anyone using an Apple iPad MINI 2 with the DJI Fly app & a Mini 2 Drone?
Or, which is the best budget 8 inch tablet to just use with the DJI Fly app & Mini 2?
Cheers in advance :smile:

I think it might struggle, I ran it a couple of years ago on an original mini (drone) and it wasnā€™t the best experience

I think the Mini 4 is considered the minimum.

1 Like

I use a full size iPad it cost less than a iPad mini, there Ā£319 but you get a great view on that size screen

1 Like

You might find this of use, which is a list of Apple and Android phones ant tablets that work well with it. Best Tablets and Phones for DJI GO & DJI Fly (Updated Daily) | Phantom Help

The Mini 4 struggles, but the Mini 5 seems fine ( so far )

1 Like

ā€œIan in Londonā€ (a very good drone reviewer in my view) recently tested a Tripletek model that he rated highly DJI Air 2S with Tripltek 8 inch Pro Tablet - Big, Bright & Beautiful - YouTube

1 Like

I use a Huawei MediaPad M5 Lite 8, its a budget tablet that will run the fly app but does struggle with the latest version. The mini 2 doesnā€™t need that version and I am on 1.4.2 which works for me
Litchi works fine as well

Have a look at this thread, it might help

I am sure @ianinlondon will be very grateful for your positive comments :wink: but the OP did say

So maybe the Tripltek is out of his budget, but if not then have a read of this

1 Like

Hi, thank you, I visited that page and thatā€™s why I was asking if anyone here was using a iPad mini 2 as lots of people seem to like it but didnā€™t want to fork out for one if it was going to be crap :laughing:

I agree, but the Tripltex is way out of my price range but cheers anyway :+1:

I have a 9.6" iPad Pro and have tried it but find it quite heavy and it throws the balance out on the controller (top heavy) so looking for something lighter/cheaper. If I canā€™t find anything I might try a lanyard around my neck and see if that helpsā€¦? Cheers :+1:

Iā€™ve used a regular iPad. And have the lanyard extension holder thing. Youā€™ll need a longer cable too. However itā€™s such a faff and the whole point of the mini for me is to just whip it out and get it in the air. I still use my phone most of the time.

My thinking exactly :+1:

The general consensus that I have seen elsewhere is that for the iPad route, a Mini 5 or better is required. I havenā€™t any direct experience of this however as I use Android for this. I would have thought you could pick up a used iPad Mini 5 for not a huge sum from ebay though. Another popular option is the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 Lite, which isnā€™t overly expensive, even brand new. Perhaps of greater importance however is how bright the screen is on what you are using, if you are flying on sunny days, the general consensus is that the screen should be 1000 NITS or brighter.

I use a Huawei MediaPad M5 Lite 8 , I have not had any issue as of yet , But my wife has a new ipad, so I will try her old ipad Air 2nd gen , I am hoping this will work better than what I have ā€¦ Just need to testā€¦

1 Like

I use an ipad mini 4 to fly my mini 2 using the Dji fly app. It has been used successfully to fly my Phantom Pro and Mavic Pro.
Having tried a few smaller tablets to fly the earlier two drones it was good to find one that connected each and every time as it still does with the mini 2.
I would never use anything else nowā€¦ only probably a newer ipad!
Not against android stuff because I use a Samsung phone.

I had a mini 4 that had overload problems but the mini 5 is perfect, just need a small bracket holder and away you go. I just use a Wi-Fi 64gb as donā€™t need it to hook up to the web but can link to my iPhone if needed.

Yes, I used to get that problem but it doesnā€™t seem to happen now ??
I always make sure the cache is kept small. I do tether the wifi from my Samsung phone without problem to it.

Iā€™ve been flying my Mini 2 with an iPad mini 4 since March last year and whilst I do get the CPU overload warnings now and then, itā€™s never caused me any issues. I regularly check the flight logs on AirData when I do get the warnings but thereā€™s never been anything associated with those that suggest any other issues so they donā€™t bother me if I do see them.

Iā€™ve been updating both the iPad OS and the Fly app as and when and itā€™s been consistently fine throughout all updates generally, but I know some have had problems with their mini 4s so it just seems a bit hit and miss in terms of stability and that a mini 5 seems to have a better track record of the minisā€¦ so Iā€™m making the most of mine before Apple decide to kill it :rofl: