IRX4+ MultiProtocol Module with Flysky Reciever

Hello,

Pretty new to drones and very new to the whole FrSky/Taranis ecosystem here. I have a couple of drones set up using the FlySky FS-I6 transmitter and the corresponding FS-IA6B receivers. I recently upgraded to a Taranis Q X7S Transmitter which has been great so far. I bought an iRange IRX4+ Multiprotocol module for the transmitter to connect it to a couple of cheap older drones I have lying around.

I saw this video https://youtu.be/JjBwDTNuSeY Which shows someone connecting a Q X7 to the same Flysky receiver that I’m using with a similar multiprotocol module. However, the tutorial in the video is fairly non-descriptive and out of focus, and the full step by step method he references in the video seems non-existent or at least I can’t find them myself.

So my question is: Does anyone have a better tutorial or any experience with this receiver/transmitter combo that could shed some light to help me get this up and running? I’d ideally like to not have to replace all the receivers on my drones with new (quite expensive) FrSky receivers

Thanks for your help

2 Likes

Can’t say I have used this particular module however…

Ensure that you have it in serial mode. So that it can be controlled via open tx (saves all the fiddling with the module)

You will also likely need to flash opentx on the radio with a version that supports multi protocols (can’t remember what options you need to select in companion so you will need to google that)

Once that’s done you go into the model set the internal module to off
Set the external module to multi then you can select the protocol etc and bind…

Sorry for the vagueness of this. I hope it’s some help…

Lee has done a video on flashing an opentx radio with multi protocol support

This may also be helpful

I’ve been using a diy multi protocol module for about two years or so in my Taranis. It was one of the original ones that came about by those hacking the Devention stuff.

It uses an ATMEL processor where as the newer, and possibly your IRX4, use the more advanced STM processor. I think the benefit of the STM processor is that it has more memory and can store more protocols. If I need to use a protocol that isn’t currently stored I have to edit the hw.config file using the Arduino IDE utility to disable one protocol to allow storage for the new protocol. As my module doesn’t have a Micro-USB socket I have to use an FTDI programming tool. However I think the RF circuitry will still be the same.

What neither of the videos above explain is that the modules are not supplied with every possible protocol enabled. This is due to the fact the modules have limited storage space. You also need to ensure you are using OpenTX 2.2 or higher. When you create a model the channel ordering needs to be AETR, other combinations will create problems especially in flight.

I’m currently not able to access my PC but when I can I’ll upload some examples of the config file and where to edit. The editing is simple, it’s just a process of commenting in or out a line of text to enable your protocol preference.

Regards

Nidge.

Thank you guys for your help. Setting the module to serial mode was very helpful, much better than trying to use the awkward little wheel on the back. I have managed to connect it. Turns out that the protocol is not the “Flysky” one, Rather it is the “FSKY 2A” protocol. Thats quite possibly a daft error on my part but thanks once again to you guys