Is DNG file / photo a RAW file

Sorry to ask this question and sorry if it has been discussed before, I did check so I hope I haven’t over looked the question, if so please don’t hesitate to remove.

Ok, so I’ve just got round to putting an sd card into a MacBook, which I have never done before to try and edit photo / photos, the pictures are there but say Dng not Raw would this be the same as raw,
I am not using any special editing software at the moment, I would just like to know if this is what raw files are or do I need to do something in order for them to display as raw, i e convert.
Would really appreciate to know if this is normal and if this is what I should be working with, I know very little about files but I know jpeg is the lesser quality, just looking for the better files for edit.
Many thanks

1 Like

DNG is a RAW file yes

No special software needed (for basic stuff)

3 Likes

Thankyou very much @milkmanchris,:blush:

Thanks for the info on using RAW in the MacOS Photos app… I didn’t know about the option to use RAW as the original :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nothing special needed for basic edits in Windows 10/11.

The default Photos program works OK - for the most basic of adjustments.

2 Likes

That’s handy to know, I also have windows and I did not know this option was there, at least to get me started.
Thanks for sharing :+1:t2:

1 Like

There are free options, but if you get serious about editing, something like Adobe Lightroom Classic, Photoshop or Lightroom are available on subscription for a tenner a month. Once you’ve seen what can be done with a well exposed Raw file, it’s hard to put up with the JPGs. It does take time though.

1 Like

Thanks @BingBong, yes I did subscribe to that package just over a month ago but not used it yet :grimacing:, it does look more complicated which is understandable, i thought if I learn the basics and what exactly does what just for now as previously, everything has been jpeg on my phone,
Then I’ll start paying my subscription again and try to get the best use out of it, yesterday I was using i photos on a Mac, today I’m going to try windows then decide which one I get on better with, I’d say the Mac but we’ll see,
Cheers mate

Totally agree! :+1:

2 Likes

Thanks @Drumsagard i did spend 2 hours on one pic yesterday, I guess it’s going to be time consuming at first :grimacing::smiley: but I guess that’s all part of the leaning.

1 Like

Get yourself a workflow

1 Like

Once you get used to it you’ll get faster. As Chris said, get yourself a workflow. By editing the same way every time your speed will increase. Sometimes it’s good though to be able to spend time on an image. I edit about 100/125 wedding images per hour but can happily spend an hour or two just working away on one landscape photo.

3 Likes

Thanks guys, I understand that well, the only thing I struggle with and tend to stay away from and not that it is mentioned in this video is curves they really for me just ruin everything, I get one thing right but it sends the other bits off key then vice a versa, for now I shall stick with the basic work flow, I will watch that video again and just for reference if ok I shall post in a different thread the before and after and see what people think, that said tho what might look great to me might not be everyone’s choice of how they edit, I like pictures that pop with clarity, I like moody flat soft images too, also pictures that look to over doctored call it I suppose it also depends on the subject, weather conditions time of day and many other things to be taken into factor, I watched a video where someone said although you want people to like your work, remember your doing it for you, so what you like others may not, I also read that when your looking at the picture / photo you should get a feeling of being there as if your in that picture if that makes sense.
Many thanks

1 Like

Speaks a man who’s a pro :clap:t2::clap:t2::clap:t2: