Is it Unlawful to distract you while you are Flying your Drone?

Is it illegal/ unlawful for someone to approach you while you are flying your drone?.
Especially if they are getting arsey !.
Your advice how this situation should be handled would be appreciated.
(I have been asked this by another GADC Member)
Does anyone know of any Documentation that covers this?.
I know how I handle them !, but, just wanted other members thoughts on the subject.

3 Likes

Doubt it, they have as much right to be in same space you are.

Would only be unlawfull if they assault, threaten or try to interfere with you flying.

If they refused to move to let you land it would probably be up to you to move and land elsewhere.

3 Likes

The Air Navigation Order 2016 states:

#### Endangering safety of an aircraft

240. A person must not recklessly or negligently act in a manner likely to endanger an aircraft, or any person in an aircraft.

That doesnā€™t stop anyone approaching you. A court would have to find their behaviour reckless or negligent. Good luck with that.

However it is equally clear that you are solely responsible for the safe operation of your drone. This is why pilots of manned aircraft, air traffic controllers etc are in spaces free from public interference, and why PfCOs put out tape or cones. Someone might argue you have an obligation to position yourself somewhere where the risk of being distracted is minimal.

4 Likes

I found an interesting thread on another drone forum with some interesting posts regarding this subject, can I post an external link here?

If the information on the external link is relevant to the conversation and UK, go ahead.

Obviously we would prefer information posted directly here but understand thatā€™s not always possible.

Itā€™s an American forum so Iā€™ll not post it.
Iā€™m just going to print on a high viz ā€˜do oneā€¦ Iā€™m concentratingā€™ :joy:

7 Likes

wearing a Hi-Viz does (according to other people) tend to stop people bothering you, as you ā€œLook Officialā€.
But then could have the opposite effect and everybody hassles you !.

Screw the high viz.

s-l400%20(1)

8 Likes

shit, thatā€™s damn good camo !.

2 Likes

I WANT ONE !!

Thatā€™s probably sufficient to cause your drone to have a fly-away ā€¦ scared shitless it would be!

1 Like

tenor

5 Likes