Is this a NFZ or not?

Hi all. I will be flying on Saturday near to the Oban airfield (where the arrow is).

It is not in the RPZ or the FRZ but in a recreational zone. I have never ever seen a glider there, I have a feeling that the glider club might not even exist any more. Do you think I need permission from ATC?

That map doesnā€™t agree with NATSā€™ Drone Assist. The glider area should be smaller than the FRZ.

Thanks Dave. Thatā€™s very interesting. I guess NATS is the one to trust?

I tend to think so. At least if they get it wrong you can have your screenshot saved to show you did your bit.

If It canā€™t be trusted thereā€™s no point to its existence. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

I popped in to the airport office yesterday to explain where I would be flying on Saturday. The lady on reception said I had to notify them, even if it was outside the FRZ with times etc. I said that I didnā€™t think so and she was insistent, anywhere nearby, up to 600ā€™ had to be notified, with drone registration number! I will do it, but I donā€™t believe it.

1 Like

ā€œDrone Registration Numberā€ :rofl:

ā€œThe lady on receptionā€ ā€¦ says it all.

ā€œanywhere nearbyā€ :man_shrugging: define??

I would tend to ignore that kind of stupidity.

Itā€™s the old chestnut ā€¦ ask permission and youā€™ll be told ā€œNo!ā€ whatever ā€¦

That results in better informed people not bothering to ask permission ā€¦ even when perhaps they should.

So counter-productive.

(PS - I wouldnā€™t have bothered asking - for the above reasons.)

4 Likes

Its a quandary Dave, Iā€™m pretty comfortable with my rights but thereā€™s always a slight worry that thereā€™s a regulation somewhere that I havenā€™t seen that covers it and I might be committing an offence, after all, flying inside the FRZ is a criminal offence!
Unfortunately Tom, the guy I saw last time, who is very knowledgable is away on holiday.

1 Like

Then itā€™s down to her to produce the supporting evidence for her claims.

So much doesnā€™t stack up ā€¦

• Thereā€™s nothing on NATS
  • 600ft (thatā€™s a new one!)
  • ā€œanywhere nearbyā€ - someone that know thereā€™s a genuine limit can quote the actual radius - after all, she knows about the ā€œ600ftā€.
  • ā€œDrone Registration Numberā€ - these donā€™t even exist ā€¦ yet.

I could probably phone her up about flying in the Sahara Desert and sheā€™d say ā€œNo!ā€ ā€¦ and quote some gibberish.

You could probably call by another time and sheā€™d be cleaning the toilets.

She is the exact kind of reason people think ā€œWhy did I bother? I wonā€™t next time!ā€

She is a one person liability.

2 Likes

I agree totally with all those points. As far as sheā€™s concerned, as they say " a little knowledge is a dangerous thing".
Thanks for your input Dave.

3 Likes

Enjoy the flight! :+1:

2 Likes

Thanks.

2 Likes

I completely agree with @OzoneVibe - donā€™t ask for permission if permission is not required.

2 Likes

Yes, but when thereā€™s the possibility of a prison sentence if you get it wrong, you have to be absolutely, absolutely sure.

If NATS has it wrong - they go to prison. #Simples.

Even were the glider area as AirMap had ā€¦ itā€™s cautionary and still not needing permission. Itā€™s a ā€œKeep your eyes open and keep an eye in the direction of the airport.ā€ scenario ā€¦ and around there thereā€™s more chance of hearing the ā€œthwop! thwopā€ of a coastguard chopper zooming to/from some incident, Iā€™d have thought.

Not that Iā€™ve checked where they are based near there, or where appropriate hospitals might be - itā€™s just the kind of place Iā€™d keep them in mind.

And, forget ADSB for these guys - (a) that needs ground stations to receive ā€¦ and itā€™s a low population area, and (b) they are often too low to be registering. As the straight line in this shows ā€¦ they went missing for ages because of height, primarily.

Plus, imo, monitoring ADSB needs another device and adds a further distraction from doing the important job of keeping one eye on the drone and the sky in general for anything thatā€™s a potential problem.
Segulls do NOT have ADSB equipment! :wink:

1 Like

If you wanted to make sure you had notified relevant people, I would do a notification of the flight through the NATS Drone Assist app.

I agree with the others though, if not in a FRZ then donā€™t ask their permission because they are unable to give permission For you to fly outside an FRZ. However, you could ā€˜advise them for there informationā€™ if it is close - as that is different.

3 Likes

Thanks Brian. I have emailed the airport and also logged a flight on Drone Assist, just to make doubly sure.

2 Likes

Donā€™t think you could do much more to show you are being conscientious :+1:

Yours is the fish farm one I guess? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Emailing the airport and logging the flight was the good thing to do. A shame the receptionist didnā€™t have a clue; if you managed to contact the air traffic controller or someone who has a clue, you could then ask them to enlighten the receptionist with the proper rules.
Even if you donā€™t have to ask permission, itā€™s good practce to notify when youā€™re so close to an air strip.

Cheers
Ian

1 Like

Haha! Yes
It was actually a disaster, due to the weather on Saturday, No way I could fly. Got some nice shots in the afternoon though.

On Sunday I had another disaster. I livestreamed straight to Facebook from the Mavic but afterwards found to my horror that I hadnā€™t enabled saving to the card as well. When I downloaded the vids from FB later, one was in HD but most in CR (crap resolution). I worked out that if the signal is poor it downgrades what it saves. It was completely jerky and the audio was all broken. I thought with 4 bars on 3G it would be OK but evidently not. I managed to use a few bits 'n bobs in the final film.
I donā€™t know why, but in the panic to get out of the house early, I didnā€™t take my Osmo stabiliser or my sound recorder with the dead cat, so I ended up with very shaky handheld stuff and mainly wind noise. Note to self ; next time, have a muster point the night before and make sure everything is there.
Still, for what itā€™s worth The video is at Citizen Science on Vimeo