I've put my PfCO plans on hold

I agree. The PfCO is essential if you want to fly in CAA controlled airspace.
I, and many others, are happy to fly beneath the 400ft ceiling and well away from airports or anywhere else that might be hazardous to aircraft. I certainly have no interest in flying my pride and joy anywhere near a helicopter with that amount of downdraft either.

So why is the CAA saying that a 250gram drone is so dangerous that it can’t be flown within 450ft of a house. Just what damage do they think it will cause?

I set my max speed at 20KPH because I only want to take video footage and stills. It would take my drone a full 27seconds to cover 450ft distance, that is a ridiculous safety margin that is akin to the red flag walked in front of cars when they first appeared.

1 Like

It’s a privacy thing and applies to drones fitted with cameras.

Cyclists (without rules) with GoPros on their heads cycle past my house at a distance of approx 5m. They have a reputation for causing physical damage and often collide with pedestrians. These cameras are very similar in response to that of the better drones being used. In fact, most handheld cameras and even phones, have better cameras than most drones. What imagery advantage does a 250gram drone have at a distance 450ft over any of these? There is, of course, no advantage and no justification for this ridiculous requirement.

The 450ft rule is a law that is begging to be broken. In turn, people inevitably have similar respect for the rest of the rules associated with this requirement (what harm is a little 250gram drone actually likely to do?). Hence, it is no wonder that here in the UK, we have regular scares over airports etc.

What do you mean by 450ft rule?

In the UK you can’t fly any UAS weighing over 250gram within 450ft of a building or people, in an inhabited environment (basically anywhere with a house).

Did you mean 150ft @paul.wingfield ?

1 Like

Flight assessment done and dusted. Passed.
Time to send the paperwork off to the caa

3 Likes

Nice one mate :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Well done.

Well done Steve :+1::+1::+1:

Congrats Steve

Uploaded mine 4 weeks ago and still not heard anything, they must be busy!!!

No. 150m = 450ft. Check how they define a congested area. It is anywhere with a dwelling where people live. Therefore 450ft ONLY in the UK!

150m is 492ft - and as per the Drone Code picture above, the CAA have put 500ft on their diagram.

We did.

No, it’s not. Do you not see the drone just 50m from a house in the above diagram?

They’re fine with people flying over entire villages - here’s what they had to say on the subject: CAA definition of 'Crowds and built up areas'

If you wish to debate their definitions further, please do so in the above thread, rather than pull this one off topic.

1 Like

Had to contend with this bad boy at my flight test

1 Like

Steve just passed my flight assessment with Coptrz waiting for the paperwork now to also send off with Ops Manuel to the CAA…glad thats out the way…

2 Likes

Well done Barry.

Congratulations Barry :+1:

Thanks Brian

Well done Barry. :champagne::champagne::champagne:

Congratulations Barry !