Just some big boats

Some of the visitors to Liverpool over recent months. Was a bit nervous about flying over water at first but now I have a float set fitted to my Mavic, I feel a bit bolder. Makes you more aware of the battery state as well… :slight_smile:

Queen Victoria

Prince Of Wales. Still very new and very shiny

Cheers
Gary

13 Likes

What’s your float set ??

1 Like

You’ll need more than a float set if you ditch it near the POW.

2 Likes

Just curious, I got over my water fear in Gili Meno when it went out of range but Litchi mission bought it back safe. :+1:

One of these-cheap, light and effective :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Splash one Mavic!!!.. :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

A review of those floats that I saw said that as long as all you want them for is to stop the drone sinking … then fine. But keeping it dry? Unlikely.

When it’s floating on the water, it’s very top-heavy, and it will only handle pond-like ripples. Anything more, and it will flip inverted.

Also - since the chances are these will only be needed in the case of an auto-land, you probably have already lost control … and the auto-land may not slow down over water as it nears the surface, since the visual system really needs some detail - so you are reliant on the ultrasonic sensors, and the reflection from water is a bit iffy.
As a result, a standard descent speed auto-“landing”, will (a) probably dunk the drone, and (b) cause it to flip … even on a smooth surface.

1 Like

Agreed, I’m aware that they wouldn’t prevent a total loss, and they obviously do not make any guarantees to that effect, but something is better than nothing. Without them-definite loss. With them-a slight chance of retrieval, albeit a bit wet and maybe needing repair.
I’ve tried them on pond-like ripples near me and they were OK. But the Mersey? Probably not!
cheers

1 Like

Best thing is to go at extreme low tide.

And be thankful for small Merseys …

4 Likes

Absolutely, where I stand is not very far from the shipping when the tide is low, decreases the odds of loss!
Small Merseys…I see what you did there :slight_smile:

I’m thinking the floats could be the difference between getting the drone back or not. If you are covered by DJI Care you will need to return the drone to them … if you don’t have it then too bad.

4 Likes

From years of flying over water with zero issues I’d be worried that the floats contributed to an accident.

Wouldn’t fancy using them in anything more than a light breeze.

5 Likes

Under appreciated this response :clap:

1 Like