Kidwelly Castle - Added to Castles and Fortifications in Wales

I have just added this to the map of places to fly your drone at Drone Scene - Location # 589

Land owner permission not required.

The castle falls within the West Wales Airport FRZ but when I called and advised I wouldn’t be flying higher than 100m, and that the flight would be after their operational hours they had no issues.

As a by the by - tried to eMail several weeks before but got no response.

It’s hard to tell, but may even fall into the Pendine sands and / or Pembrey operational zone which I couldn’t find an owner for, As I was on a public footpath (where my marker is) I took off, grabbed my images and landed.

As ever, you decide, I’m just sharing what I got and I believe I did so responsibly. YMMV

4 Likes

I want to fly here @stubbyd, have you got any other tips or advice?

I’m pretty sure WW Airport is only open business hours, but it can’t hurt to try and call to let them know about a planned flight. I tried but every time I called the number just rang.

Also, I’m sure I checked Dronescene when I did fly and only recall the local airport, not the bigger military area being listed at that time. Anyway, Dronescene shows a number for the ATC so again, call to advise of intentions.

Once done, take off from pretty much anywhere on public land - just be sure to have the permissions in place (even if only verbal) so when (if) Mrs Busybody from the castle comes out you can answer. See here: CADW - no drones policy - #8 by Jhdee and here: Kidwelly Castle Challenge for more on that.

Have fun.

1 Like

I didnt realise clicking the “I want to fly here” button would leave you a comment but i appreciate the response!

I emailed them this morning but heard nothing back so I went elsewhere for the day. Ill give them a call next time im planning on visiting the area and see if i have more luck👍

1 Like