Launch Handle for Mavic 2

I posted a pano yesterday and mentioned I was trying out a handle for launching my M2P, and someone asked how it went so I made this video in the garden today.it’s the first time I have done one like this so forgive me for my poor presentation.

Below are a few photos of some of the rest of my kit.

2 Likes

Hi Phil, thanks for sharing your video. Can you tell me where I can buy one of those mounts for your screen. I have a 10" samsung tablet that I’d like to use with my mavic pro and need some way of mounting it.

Oh, I meant to say… Nothing wrong with your presentation - concise and well explained.

@Shaunh
Hi

Here are two links on eBay for basically the same mount you saw in the photos and video, the first one is £26.59 and comes with a plastic holder for the tablet itself, to be honest it looks a bit flimsy. This one is from a UK seller.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-Phone-Tablet-Mount-Holder-Bracket-For-DJI-Crystalsky-Spark-Mavic-2-Pro-AIR/202883387408?hash=item2f3ccad010:g:JZwAAOSw9KBeJmaV

The second one is the same mount but with an aluminium holder for the tablet itself and looks much better quality but is about £40 with postage. This one comes from Hong Kong so it will take longer to get to you. Order it with holder.

Amazon also have the second one for £44 with about a 2 week delivery time, so guess it may be from China.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tineer-Aluminum-Alloy-Foldable-CellPhone-Controller-Black/dp/B07L2RTM8G/ref=sr_1_38?keywords=crystalsky%2Bmount%2Bfor%2Bdji%2Bmavic%2B2&qid=1585064761&sr=8-38&th=1

Personally I would pay the extra for the second one with the aluminium tablet holder, it just looks way better quality, and you do get what you pay for, this one is also available in red or black, and Amazon is only another £4.

Check the width of your tablet the aluminium one supports tablet length of upto 180mm, and the platic one says a 10" tablet. I hope this is of help, there are cheaper mounts but I stuck with this one after 2 previous cheaper ones.

I still don’t think my presentation was that good, way too many umm’s.

Thanks for the reply. I think I’ll take your advice and get the better quality aluminium one.
Thanks again. Keep well.

Since filming this video I have changed my mount, the new one has a quick release similar to a tripod quick release and it also has a clear hole to allow a cable to enter into the bottom of the CrystalSky, so I now use a 20mm long cable from there to the USB A socket on the bottom middle of the controller.

I’ll maybe add a photo or two of it on here next time I’m out.

I got it on eBay, here is the link

And this is the cable

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-to-USB-C-Type-C-For-Samsung-Galaxy-Fast-Charging-Charger-Cable-Braided-Lead/143574528697?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=442532182688&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2648

Could you post the eBay link to the launch handle please.
Thanks

This is the link on eBat for the handle.

:musical_note:
You say potato
And I say potato
You say launch handle
And I say strap on
Potato
Potato
Launch handle
Strap on
Let’s call the whole thing off!

1 Like

Thanks for the link. For the price (and your demo) I think I’m going to get one of those for boat launching/retrieval.

Thanks

Have you noticed any problem with the flight characteristics of the M2P from the extra weight/drag of the handle?

To be honest I have hardly used it, I was hoing to get out on a boat to use but the boat opportunity didn’t happen. I used it once where I usually go just to practice things and it didn’t seem to affect the way it flew at all. It only weighs 28g so its not a lot, all the weight is straight down so if anything it will lower the centre of gravity which is not really a bad thing. It will use a little more power for going up, but not a lot compared to hanging a GoPro underneath it.

The weight didn’t seem to affect it and I’m not an aerodynamics engineer so I have no I idea what the drag effect might be but as I said above it can’t be any worse than hanging a GoPro underneath it. I don’t think the Mavic itself it particularly aerodynamic.

Thanks for the detailed reply.

I think this is a solution for a problem that doesn’t exist. Sorry… :pensive:

2 Likes

I agree, gotta be easier to hand launch and catch

1 Like

We should offer hand launch training sessions at club meets :thinking:

I’m looking at you to cover the north west @Fatboy :wink:

It’s the easiest thing once you’ve had a few try’s.

I showed @Neil79 at the weekend, 2 talk-throughs and he’s doing it like a pro

1 Like

/tries with Inspire

If Ken can, u can

2 Likes

This is begging for a try, catch, throw with e. being a haircut or serious facial lacerations.