Lichfield Cathedral - Added to Places of Worship in West Midlands

I have just added this to the map of places to fly your drone at Drone Scene:

Land owner permission requirements unknown.

Plenty of parking in and around Lichfield.

The only medieval cathedral in the United Kingdom with three spires.

Land Owner permissions clarification:
The Cathedral claims the airspace around the cathedral is restricted on their website. This is nonsense as seen in the drone scene map. But for ref the information at time of writing is here: Photography & Filming - Lichfield Cathedral

Plenty of streets and roads to take off from around the perimeter of the cathedral to ensure take off and land is at least not on their land. For best pictures you don't want to be taking off and landing right next to it anyway due to it's size.

Also be aware that Lichfield council does not allow drone flying from their parks: Parks in Lichfield – Overview

However in a 2021 FOI they were unable to back this up with a relevant bye-law Byelaws relating to UAV Flights - a Freedom of Information request to Lichfield District Council - WhatDoTheyKnow

The originator declared that this location was not inside a Flight Restriction Zone at the time of being flown on 30/10/2022. It remains the responsibility of any pilot to check for any changes before flying at the same location.

3 Likes

I’ve flown here too @firstadekit :grin: Just to add to Ade’s pin in drone scene, I TOAL from the Rememberance Garden at night. It was pitch black with little to no street lighting leaking through and it is just off the Bird Street bridge next to the Minster Pool lake. The drone was about 60 - 80m up and at that height you get a great view of the front of the Cathedral and City behind. :+1:

2 Likes

I’ve just added a new Take Off And Landing marker to this location @firstadekit :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes