Lichfield Cathedral Xmas Light Show

The cathedral teamed up with acclaimed animation team Illuminos to bring visitors the joyful experience called ‘Sing Choirs of Angels’.

There was a number of installations at the cathedral as the show took visitors through the joyful story of the Nativity and the popular carol O Come All Ye Faithful, exploring the carol’s links to Lichfield.

The evening included access to the cathedral and grounds from a ticketed time for as long as visitors wished to stay.

There were no set times for the light shows and visitors were allowed to stay and view them as many times as they liked.

Alongside the light shows, visitors soaked up the atmosphere inside the cathedral and visited the popular Christmas Tree Festival and explore the the story of the Nativity more closely, taking time to reflect, pray or light a candle.

The cathedral literally becomes a festive spectacle bringing joy to thousands each year.

I took off from the adjacent memorial garden, which was thankfully quiet. The security guys were milling around but left me alone!

9 Likes

Nice shot, Colin :clap: What that single shot, or bracketed (AEB)?

@clinkadink Thanks Chris. It was a single shot (I think)! I took a load from 2 positions and the last lot I did about four 3x bracketed shots but dont think they will come out ok because of the animation on the "cathedral was too quick for them to be the same. I took a few 48mb photos but was struggling with the right settings to be honest (as a neanderthal amateur who really hasn’t a clue :rofl::rofl:).

I got a load to go through and colour grade, including the RAW ones that I dont usually bother with cus I haven’t got any software that recognises them! So this one was a quick lashup using an old PS elements :grin:

You do yourself a disservice, Colin :saluting_face:

My 2021 version of PS Elements opens DNG files. Not sure which version you have :man_shrugging:

If you want to, feel free to share the DNG for the above photo - looks like a lot fun to edit :+1:

@clinkadink Thanks Chris. I’ll have a look tomorrow (the beauty of retirement).

I use Elements 6 (had it more years than I can remember) on a Laptop with windows 7. :scream: I think with the right Codec I can get it to read the DNG files.

I’m going to swap out my hard drive for a SSD and upgrade to Windows 10 and then maybe consider Lr or something similar.

My stepson is a Photographer and I’ve been learning stuff from him as well as taking notes from the top Pro’s uploads on GADC. Real inspiring stuff. :+1:

The two guys who run Illuminos used to live over the road from us. They have done loads of these amazing light shows but my favourite so far is this one. Its 14 minutes long but well worth watching.

2 Likes