Lightest DJI Mini 2 case

I’m looking for a minimal/lightweight case for just the DJI Mini 2 drone. This is for UL hiking where I just need something to protect the drone when chucked into a backpack. The remote is more than study enough to survive without a case but I think I need something a bit more than just prop guards to keep it safe.

For my Mavic Mini 1, I just use this cheap Chinese case (U/R Honbobo Carrying Case Bag for DJI Mavic Mini 2 (Drone bag): Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors) but it’s way more than I need and is pretty heavy at 130g. Just some moulded polystyrene would be best I guess.

Is there anything that is protective of the props and closer to 50g than 100g? Or maybe if not a barebone foam option, just some decent propguards for both sides and a cloth bag?

Are you really looking to save just under 2ozs?

Why? Genuinely puzzled.

Ned

2 Likes

Maybe have lots of ruffage the night before?

2 Likes

1 Like

Appreciate the sarky comments (:slight_smile: ) but I’m looking to lose as much weight and volume as possible. If it’s 200g or 25g that’s worth it to me.

When you’re fastpacking 30-40 km/day with a base weight of 3kg or so, every 10g here or there counts big time in comfort and speed. It’s clearly possible to make a Mini 2 case that’s closer to 50g than 150g so if it exists that what I’d prefer. And why would I choose a 150g one if there is a 50g one available?!

If I have to go with the 150g one, I guess I will reluctantly but I’m 100% interested in saving as much weight as possible.

1 Like

Looks good — what’s the scales weight on that?

SKYREAT Hard Carrying Case Compatible with DJI Mavic Mini Storage Protective Travel Waterproof Bag for Mavic Mini

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B081R1SB18/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_UnN4Fb4MWFW55?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

So, if someone slipped a Mars Bar into your kit (58g) you’d notice?

I think a Mars Bar probably weighs the same as the average set of housekeys… does it really throw a spanner in the works to that extent?

I’m not surprised I’ve never heard of fastpacking…

1 Like

No weight listed. Amazon claims 110g but in my experience on both amazon and ebay the listed weight are almost always wrong.

It’s very similar to my Mini case that is 130g though so I imagine would be similar.

I’m sure something much lighter is possible — when the aircraft itself is only about 153g having a case almost as heavy makes little sense.

1 Like

It’s more that 10g here and there quickly adds up. If say 100g of excess unnecessary weight can be easily saved it’s definitely makes a big difference quickly. Many people take this to even greater extremes…

I prefer my 43g snickers to a 41g mars anyway as it has 20% more calories which also quickly adds up for multiday trips :wink:

(btw, when hiking my keys are between 10-27g depending on where I’m going to fly the drone).

2 Likes

Not scientific, but the scales are usually pretty accurate for cake making ;o)

Thanks, very useful! Looks promising…

Although now I’m starting to think that a silicone prop guard and a cardboard box might be half the weight and just as protective.

This Spark case looks absolutely perfect!

Why oh why don’t they do something similar for the Mini?!

Please send cake, I prefer heavier than 150g… :rofl:

1 Like

Can’t believe no-one mentioned this? It’s study enough and only weighs 27g!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B075LRBZLG?th=1&linkCode=gs2&tag=dronepilots-21

This is another option UL backpackers have been using for the Mini/Mini 2. It’s only 83g and holds everything.

2 Likes

I like how the batteries have been labelled as such… saves any confusion I suppose. :man_facepalming:

6 Likes

Try looking for ultra-light neoprene lens pouches. They may not be designed for UAVs, but they should certainly fit the bill.

POLAM-FOTO 4 Pack Thick Lens Pouch Set for Protect DSLR: AmazonSmile: Camera & Photo

Total weight 300g (for the 4 pouches), and stripping off the hooks and straps will save still more, worth a pop at £12

My concern about neoprene is the protection when they aren’t fitting tight. I might muck about with some foam now to see what I can come up with…

Just some foam and the moulded piece it came with. Def a bodge job, second time could make it much neater and could obviously wrap it to look nice. But very happy at 36g total and £0.

Combining this with a 10g DCF dry bag I’ll have a strong and completely waterproof case coming in easily under 50g which is a result in my book!