Lipo battery storage charge best practice

Reading your bio you have a Mini 2, I shouldn’t worry too much about bags and buckets of sand.

Use the hub (if you got the combo) as well as official leads and chargers and don’t leave them unattended and you’ll be fine

2 Likes

Cheers Chris, I do indeed have the mini 2 and I only ever use the chargers that co.e with whatever equipment I’m buying. The only time I made an exception was with NiCd batteries that I used to flash with a 24Vdc battery charger to refresh them.

1 Like

The mini 2 you’ll be fine DJI take care of all the safety measures. The horror stories you’ve been reading will be for the Lipo packs that FPV drones and any other of RC hobbies, be it planes, cars or even boats. Those lipos don’t have specific brands and the battery manufacturers don’t supply the chargers but there is plenty of threads on here re safety of those types of batteries if you so desire to read up on it. :+1:t2:

1 Like

Meaning, each battery pack has its own Battery Managements System (BMS) which handles the cell balancing and limits over charging and restricts over discharging. Also and this is the clever bit, if you charge a battery and don’t use it, after a couple of days it will automatically discharge to storage level. Self preservation :clap::clap:

1 Like

Wouldnt lean on it though, seem to remember a thread on here with someone that had 3 puffy DJI batteries a few weeks ago.

gymshark-birthday

2 Likes

All replaced by DJI.

Are you suggesting that DJI batteries are charged in a biscuit tin and only kept in fire proof bags?

What balloons? :star_struck:

1 Like

I am storing mine outside the house in the kettle barbecue. Just worried it might not be the best as temperatures drop in winter :thinking:

I am aware they got replaced which is completely irrelevant to the topic. I’m just pointing out that their safety features do not make them totally bulletproof and you should still treat them with a degree of respect.

Store them in the oven in winter, they dont perform well at low temperatures.

1 Like

And follow the manafacturers advice, in this case for a Mini 2

1 Like

Which will most likely be the same as the general best practice for any other lipos id expect.

1 Like

You can say that about any rechargeable battery though? There’s even risk in charging your mobile phone :man_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

Very true but I spend every weekend at a busy rc club and have seen countless Lipos go pop in various levels of exciting…never seen a phone battery go puffy but then we arent draining phone batteries remotely as aggressively as these.

We actually have started stealing particularly bad Lipos from one bloke that just refuses to give a shit if they are fucked or not.

Didn’t Nokia issue an advisory on 46 million or so BL-5C‘s back in the day ?

1 Like

No idea but regardless I’ve never seen one go and we are abusing these batteries a lot more than phones.

The DJI Mini 2 won’t be abusing it’s batteries like we do with our FPV quads it’s software won’t let it. They’re speed limited via software so the current draw won’t be anywhere close to the figures you’d see in an FPV quad on a punch out.

1 Like

True, which should mean they will last for more cycles but then they are probably a much lower C rated battery, for this comparisons sake the current draw is still huge compared to a phone.

What would stormy level be?

1 Like