Looking to build a training FPV drone

Hi folks.

I’ve currently got a DJI FPV drone which I absolutely love flying but I’m a bit wary of pushing myself with it to train in full manual mode and I only spend a couple of minutes in it each time and don’t do anything too crazy because I don’t want to crash and be out of pocket to repair it while I’m still at this stage in learning. Which made me realise, what I could really use is a relatively cheap training build. Something I can afford to crash and repair while I learn. So if anyone can help me come up with a build I can put together for this I’d be very grateful. I do have a few specs though:

• Needs to be compatible with DJI FPV goggles and controller
  • Ideally less than £200 before battery etc. but can push budget a fair amount if necessary, I know the digital can be costy
  • Doesn’t need to be super souped or anything, in fact would be better if not as it’s for training
  • Replacement parts like arms, props etc. affordable and easy to purchase

Thanks folks!

1 Like

Pushing it on both these points (deffo a no on the controller)

How much sim time have you had ?

1 Like

About 15 hours on the sim so far (mostly Liftoff).

What would you see as a more realistic budget?

The trouble youre going to have Ben is 2 fold.

1. The DJI FPV Drone controller is only compatible with the DJI FPV Drone so you will need a new controller.
  2. Because you have the DJI Goggles you will need to buy a HD drone build with an Air Unit or Vista installed. These are not cheap (just the vista with a camera is around £130 without the rest of the drone)
    If you were willing to up your budget you could but something like this BabyHawk 2 HD

But as I say you would also need a new controller too

2 Likes

Dorje… Ben… Ben Minal? :thinking:

I love love my babyhawk 2 btw. Have the analogue version.

A Vista will set you back £120+ so I’m gunna say your going to need to increase your budget or look at the 2nd hand market.

Realistic budget in todays pricing for fully brand new with a radio I’d have a guess at around £350/400 mark.

Vista, Radio, flight stack and the Motors are going to be your biggest outlay.

Vista £120+ (depending on what cam you go with)
Radio, between £60/150 depending on choice.
Flight stack between £70/100 depending on choice
Motors between £50/70 depending on choice

Then £50/100 for all the smaller bits like frame props and antennas reciver and the like.

My thoughts too. :metal:

I’ve been flying FPV on and off for about the last 10yrs but I’m relatively new to the DJI FPV Drone (owned for about four months).

If you can cruise comfortably using manual/ACRO mode in Liftoff then you’ll have no problem doing the same in the real World with the DJI drone. Flippity Floppity stuff is a different matter as this is not a strong point of the DJI Drone. It can be done but compared to a purpose made freestyle quad, that has a much greater power to weight ratio, flippity flopping a DJI Drone can feel like performing figure skating with an elephant as a partner.

One way to use your DJI goggles while increasing your options is to use one of the analog FPV conversion kits that are available. These will allow you to use an analog FPV receiver module with the goggles and prices start from around £20 for a no thrills adapter. Modules start from around £30.

As for a transmitter? As has already been pointed out the DJI controller only works with the DJI Drone, but if the form factor is something you’re comfortable with then there are many similar sized controllers from Radiomaster and Jumper that won’t break the bank. In fact the Jumper T-Pro is identical to the DJI controller but with a small LCD screen and some extra buttons.

1 Like

Using an Analogue module on the goggles is a great idea, as it means you will have access to a much larger range of cheaper analogue trainers, even some of the 1S or 2S small quads like the Eachine one that takes 2 18650 cells (I have it, just can’t think of the name) are a good bet for learning.

Get a cheaper OpenTX controller with a module bay, for your trainer quad you’ll not really need anything but a FRSky receiver, even D8 or D16 would do for short range learning. The module bay gives options later for ELRS or Crossfire.

For a real challenge, try a cheap as chips (relatively, under 100squids) TinyWhoop, with 10 1S batteries. If you can fly that, you’ll manage anything.

1 Like

That’s a good idea (the tinywhoop) and I’ve found a prebuilt one here that I’m considering, would also need to get the controller though as people have said. Tmotor Tron 80 HD CineWhoop – Unmanned Tech UK FPV Shop

Thanks for the advice everyone and giving me a bit of a reality check.

You could actually get a 75mm ELRS quad from UMT for around £90 (Meteor75 Pro Brushless Whoop Quadcopter ELRS – Unmanned Tech UK FPV Shop) and a Radiomaster Zorro ELRS TX for around £100 (https://www.flyingtech.co.uk/electronics/radiomaster-zorro-radio-4-1-multi-protocol-elrs-24ghz?sku=TX-ZORROELRS).

Brings you in under £200 and you can get an analogue module for your DJI goggles (can’t remember if you had those) or a cheaper set of analogue goggles to see if you actually like it.
As the TX is an OpenTX unit with an expansion bay, you have the option of going down the Crossfire or even 868MHz ELRS option if your needs develop in that direction.

As I said, if you can handle a tiny quad like that, you’ll manage anything.

I realised that my last suggestion was more for indoor and I’m not sure what type of flying you wanted to do (outdoors).

For outdoors, you could go with the BetaFPV CineWhoop at £150 (BetaFPV Beta 95X V3.1 Analog CineWhoop – Unmanned Tech UK FPV Shop) and go for the Multiprotocol version of the TX in my last post, which will do D8. Will definitely get you flying and give you an idea whether you like it.

Be careful though, it’s addictive. I came in from a short session before work this morning with one of the arms on my quad broken, and a great big grin on my face, as even though the drone had kissed the tarmac a little too hard, I’d still had great fun.

Emax ready to fly kits are an awesome way to start real FPV and they’re more affordable. If its just Real FPV practice (Not a simulator) you’re after before going full manual on the DJI FPV then it will be ideal.

But if you’re planning on moving forward with the build your own drones or moving onto a 5inch freestyle or racing drone then you’d be better off buying a decent open TX radio as suggested above.