Losing my bottle - Sandyhills

I was up at Sandyhills Bay in southern Scotland and thought I’d try to get out to the old WW2 bombing target in the Solway Firth. We had previously walked a fair way out, but ended up getting stuck in lots of mud and had to give up. We were also concerned about getting cut off by the tide with it being so flat on the Solway Firth. So, I thought why not have ago at flying out there… so the mavic pro plati was put into sport mode and off I went, conscious of the fact the wind was blowing offshore and I needed to take into account it will take much longer to get back. In all the excitement, I forgot to start the recording until I was nearly at 1km. duh! Which also coincided with me losing my bottle and heading back. I really didn’t fancy having to recover the drone from the mud. Cleaning my boots from earlier was bad enough. Checking on the map afterwards the target is actually about a mile offshore, so I would have made it… I think, and back again…? Good learnings for me on this flight. I am not sure why I am seeing the left prop in the video on the way back? I’m more than happy to take comments.

4 Likes

Beautiful landscape

1 Like

CNice video, it looks like the MP is battling the wind and flying at an extreme angle, that’s why you are seeing one of the props.
Apologies if you already are aware, but some may not be, so I will explain how to check.
On the bottom left corner of your tablet/phone screen there is a little map, as your angle of attack increases or decreases the map will fill or empty of blue, the more blue, the higher angle of attack. This is a good way of telling which way the drone is tilting to fight against either a side or headwind and the strength of the wind. Its all about monitoring your instruments just like a real pilot would do.
It’s possible that that’s why you are seeing the prop. Either that or you need to calibrate the gimbal.

1 Like

I think your right Brian with the props on show

1 Like

That explains it. I’ve seen props appearing a few times, and when I think about it, all in windy conditions. I didn’t know about the angle of attack, being displayed. Another good learning point. I really need to become more familiar with the display information on the app. And practice more to get it to stick. Getting the mavic pro out only every few weeks doesn’t help, Thanks Simon

1 Like