Lovell Telescope at Jodrell Bank Observatory - Added to Everything Else in North West

I have just added this to the map of places to fly your drone at Drone Scene:

Land owner permission requirements unknown.

Picture of the Lovell Telescope at Jodrell Bank Observatory in Cheshire.

On a sunny it's hard not to take a pretty good picture of the telescope and surrounding wide open Cheshire plains.

I parked up and TOAL from from a grassy area next to the road at ////roving.cascaded.warrior

Debated whether to share this in case drones interfere with the telescope. Dont know if correct but Wikipedia suggests they use wavelengths down to 5Ghz so set my controller to 2.4Ghz only to minimise any interference and kept to around 250m distance.

The originator declared that this location was not inside a Flight Restriction Zone at the time of being flown on 31/08/2022. It remains the responsibility of any pilot to check for any changes before flying at the same location.

3 Likes

I do like the sky in this image

2 Likes

The frequencies are “whatever’s best for our survey”, but the bands drones use were agreed internationally to limit the impact on radio astronomy amongst other things

I tend to go for “well done, someone’s spent three years trying to get a picture of a sunspot on Sirius and you’ve just gone and turned it into a cock and balls with your useless toy”, but at the end of the day interference on the WiFi bands is well known and easy to filter for, and if they really had a problem with it they could get a no fly zone setup, or push for a national radio quiet zone like the US have at green bank

Just try not to fly directly in front of the dish

1 Like

Love that area great shots well done will visit there soon I hope with my mini 3

Hi guys
Just want a quick bit of advice as a new drone pilot.

I posted a picture that I took with my drone at the circled location

Someone has posted a reply with a screenshot of a map from drone assist asking me how I obtained permission to fly in this zone.

As far as I understood (from what I’ve managed to learn from the internet etc) I am allowed to fly in this airspace. Am I wrong?

I can see the issue if I was to fly in the FRZ above at Manchester airport but genuinely researched as best I could and believed this was class D airspace that I could legally fly in with my mini 3

Have I messed up ?

Many thanks in advance

Who? :thinking:

Here are the (lack of) airspace restrictions for Jodrell Bank:

Happy (legal) flying everyone:

2 Likes

Only Class D - not an issue. Read here.

1 Like

Thanks @OzoneVibe & @PingSpike

I’d actually originally seen the location on dronescene and that’s what made me decide to go (after I’d researched if it was legal to fly there and thought it was)

Then I received this post from someone on Facebook who after I spotted he was A2 CofC it made me panic a bit, after all like I said I’m a new / returning pilot………got to be honest, I felt a bit sick initially.

Facebook :man_facepalming:t2:

Probably being on FB is the only place where you messed up. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Lesson learned…….:rofl:
I’d expect it if I’d just posted to a random page of people but this was a members only group for a training provider so I :poop: a little bit .

I’ve flown here too @chrisf :grin:

1 Like

2 Likes

I’ve just added a new Take Off And Landing marker to this location @chrisf :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I’ve just added a new Take Off And Landing marker to this location @chrisf :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

3 Likes

Wow, that is so cool. Amazing engineering.

1 Like

Our footage from yesterdays visit…

1 Like

I want to fly here @chrisf, have you got any tips or advice on where to park?