Lower Northwater Bridges

Lower North Water Bridge - road bridge

A fine seven-arch bridge on the border between Angus and Aberdeenshire which carries the A92 Trunk Road over the River North Esk, the Lower North Water Bridge lies a mile (1.5 km) northeast of Hillside and 2½ miles (4 km) north northeast of Montrose. It lies next to the North Water Viaduct which formerly carried the railway.

The bridge was built 1770-75 and was the work of John Smeaton (1724-94) and John Adam (1721-92) working with Andrew Barrie of Montrose. The arches, triangular cutwaters and parapet are in dark ashlar while the spandrels comprise light sandstone rubble, giving a contrast both in colour and texture. A ruined octagonal toll-house lies adjacent, and the road turns sharply at right angles both on the northern and southern approaches to this bridge. A panel on the southern approach records the construction details.

The bridge was subject to repairs and restoration in 2008 costing £700,000.
Running for 12 miles, the single track branch connecting Montrose and Bervie was authorised on 3rd July 1860 with capital of £70,000 in shares and a further £23k in loans. The inaugural passenger train pressed the sleepers on 1st November 1865.

Its major engineering work was a rubble-built viaduct of 12 arches over the North Esk near Kinnaber, taking four years to complete. Five large skewed arches span the river whilst seven others - five at the north side and two to the south - connect with the approach embankments. The structure is a little over 200 yards long with a maximum height of around 75 feet.

The route was absorbed into the North British Railway in 1881, with the last scheduled passenger train travelling the branch on 1st October 1951. The freight service ended in May 1966.

The future of the structure remained in some doubt until repairs were completed in 1992/3, after which it was adopted by the two neighbouring local authorities. The £200k project involved work on the river piers and installation of a handrail, resulting in it reopening as a footpath.

In September 2010, Angus Council agreed to a £230,000 scheme to establish a three-mile link between North Water Viaduct and Montrose. Work is likely to take three months and will open in the summer of 2011

Former rail bridge - now walkway
Running for 12 miles, the single track branch connecting Montrose and Bervie was authorised on 3rd July 1860 with capital of £70,000 in shares and a further £23k in loans. The inaugural passenger train pressed the sleepers on 1st November 1865.

Its major engineering work was a rubble-built viaduct of 12 arches over the North Esk near Kinnaber, taking four years to complete. Five large skewed arches span the river whilst seven others - five at the north side and two to the south - connect with the approach embankments. The structure is a little over 200 yards long with a maximum height of around 75 feet.

The route was absorbed into the North British Railway in 1881, with the last scheduled passenger train travelling the branch on 1st October 1951. The freight service ended in May 1966.

The future of the structure remained in some doubt until repairs were completed in 1992/3, after which it was adopted by the two neighbouring local authorities. The £200k project involved work on the river piers and installation of a handrail, resulting in it reopening as a footpath.

In September 2010, Angus Council agreed to a £230,000 scheme to establish a three-mile link between North Water Viaduct and Montrose. Work is likely to take three months and will open in the summer of 2011

5 Likes

Really nice video, love the colour of that water.

1 Like