Lower Quirang and Loch Langaig, Flodigarry, Skye - Added to Iconic Landscapes and Ancient Sites in Scotland

I have just added this to the map of places to fly your drone at Drone Scene:

Land owner permission not required.

Another from the recent Skye trip, this time a windier day, so altitude somewhat restricted to thje sheltered lower slopes of the Quirang, a couple of miles further north than the main Quirang TOAL point…

The Trotternish Landslip is huge, it stretches for about 10 miles, and the Quirang is the most resent part of it, still moving and roads have to be repaired yearly.

A coulpe of parking spots on the road near Loch Langaig offer a short walk to the Loch, which affords reasonable views to the landscape, a bit more of a walk allows for more open vistas…

There is an SSSI for rock formations, so TOAL at your own risk, however if you dont crash into the rocks you shold be fine…

The originator declared that this location was not inside a Flight Restriction Zone at the time of being flown on 22/10/2023. It remains the responsibility of any pilot to check for any changes before flying at the same location.

1 Like

I want to fly here @AlbionDrones, have you got any tips or advice on where to take off from?

There are 2 small car parks on the road as you come around from Uig, one next to a loch, park there and walk up until you have good VLOS and fly from there… Alternatively, you could walk the Quirang path - higher up - and fly down to the lower areas…
Try and choose a day with minimal wind, and go early so there arent too many tourists… Oh and watch out for the Golden Eagles who are in the higher cliffs, we saw 5 of them that day…

Many thanks. I thought the whole of the Isle of Sky was a “no fly zone” so your posts have been really helpful. Cheers / Ian

Nope, lots of flyable areas, but watch out for the SSSI and the reasons why they are SSSI, plus look out for local signs - some areas like the Mealt Falls are not allowed to fly in summer, but are ok out of tourist season, same with Old Man of Storr…

We’ll be there in the second half of July, so I guess that’s summer. Are there signs at these locations or do you just “have to know”? I found reasonably good sites showing maps of SSSI’s for both England and Scotland but there seems to be so many “gotchas”

Drone Scene has all the locations I flew marked, along with the SSSI and links to why it is an SSSI, its what I use as a go to… As for signs, look when you arrive and see, I know Mealt Falls had one last summer, but it wasn’t there in the Autumn… We are back there in late June, so I will hopefully have more info then, and hopefully another few places marked on the map too!