Manchester Cathedral - Added to Places of Worship in North West

I have just added this to the map of places to fly your drone at Drone Scene:

Land owner permission not required.

There is lots to photograph here: Manchester Cathedral, the Corn Exchange, National Football Museum, Victoria Station, etc.

I flew from the pedestrianised area just north-east of the Cathedral, on a suitably quiet day.

The originator declared that this location was not inside a Flight Restriction Zone at the time of being flown on 25/12/2022. It remains the responsibility of any pilot to check for any changes before flying at the same location.

2 Likes

Hi guys, how are you? :raised_hand:

Time without stopping by here. :hourglass_flowing_sand:
I am writing to you since I tried to fly near Manchester Cathedral last weekend, but I received a message from DJI which was in a Geo 4 zone. The truth is that I was a little scared to fly since I even received messages that my drone could be affected. I have flown around central Manchester and even several other pilots have made videos. Even in the drone Scene, it shows that someone recommends flying there. Could you clarify for me if I can fly there or not? :shushing_face:

Thanks

If you click on the area in Drone Scene, and scroll down in the info-window, to the “Remarks” section for that EGR319 MANCHESTER airspace, it says:

Remarks
The Restricted Area applies only to helicopters.

So, unless you’re flying a helicopter, I’d say you’re good to go :blush:

1 Like

Hi, Thank you very much for your answer. But in the Restricted Area section it says We recommend that you not operate your drone, that’s why I have a question. I await your response and thank you very much. :star_struck:

The CAA control the airspace not DJI, there are no restrictions in the area around the cathedral

I believe that’s default text for all restricted areas, which is a function of the somewhat clumsy way that flight restriction data is passed from the main NATS systems into the Altitude Angel system which Drone Scene then pulls its data from. They include it as default text on a “better safe than sorry” basis. However, the remarks at the bottom provide further clarification in this case.

You can also follow the reference at the top: EG R319 MANCHESTER in this case. If you follow that via Google to this page you will see more details on many of these restrictions, and in this case, confirmation that it applies only to helicopters.

If you want to pursue it further, you can find the actual legislation that created this restriction zone here:

2 Likes

Thank you very much This information is really useful :melting_face:

2 Likes

I want to fly here @kvetner, have you got any tips or advice on where to park or take off from?

I’ve parked in the Q Park across the river, but that isn’t cheap. Arriving via public transport is easiest.

I’ve flown from a couple of spots right out in the open nearby when it’s been quiet. Directly across the river, there’s a little space just off Chapel St, facing the river, where I believe you could stand and fly without much chance of being disturbed.

1 Like

I’ve flown here too @kvetner :grin:

3 Likes

Hi, I’m up in Manchester at the weekend soon and fancied some nice nighttime city shots.

Obviously most of the city is a NFZ, any suggestions of TOAL sites that won’t be packed with people on a Saturday night?!

Any suggestions gratefully received

Most of the city is only an FRZ for helicopters, as long as you stay away from Barton and Manchester Airports, and Strangeways prison you can fly pretty much anywhere - although stick to the drone code and don’t fly over crowds…

As to TOAL points, try Hulme Park, good views of the city without getting too close - watch those skyscrapers though, they jump at you…

Or try Quay St…

Or Salford Quays, from the Imperial War Museum side…

Enjoy

2 Likes

Moved your post to here as been discussed before,
Just stay away from the prison

Loads of markers on Drone Scene, it’s the best tool to use

The search function is another great tool to use

https://greyarro.ws/search?q=Manchester%20%23where-to-fly-your-drone-in-the-uk

1 Like

Great thanks

1 Like