Mavic 2 Zoom wind speeds

I am curious as to know what sort of wind speeds the Mavic 2 Zoom can handle?

1 Like

DJI quote 24mph max from what I’ve read.

Our friend @ianinlondon covered this in a YouTube video using the M2P. Hopefully helps.

https://youtu.be/9mMOABibuuY

3 Likes

Can they both cope with the same amount of wind?

1 Like

Not really looked to much into the pro and zoom but I presume they are the same machine just different cameras? :thinking: (stand to be corrected)

3 Likes

I think performance wise the MP2 and zoom are the same. As you say, just the camera is different.

1 Like

Since you can easily swap the gimbal/camera between the two versions … all other hardware/firmware is identical, as will be their performance.

4 Likes

Or lack of in the wind ;o)

I’ve flown my MP2 in winds (gusts) in excess 24mph. When I did the crop circle last year for the competition, I think it must have been gusting over 30mph and the drone coped well… did however drain the battery and struggled to get near to 20 mins flight time. Looked very freaky flying sideways too! Generally, wouldn’t recommend flying in winds over 20mph if you can help it.

2 Likes

Would have to say really, the bottom line would be…
why risk over a grands worth of equipment in winds just for a nice snap shot. :thinking: in general not just to this answer :ok_hand:

1 Like

And remember - wind speed and direction at ground level isn’t the same higher up …

I’ve flown my MP in well over 30mph gusts, and its handled well.

The problem isn’t flying, its getting it home if you go too far. if you’re in a nice open space and flying close anything up to 30mph you should be ok.

Atti on the P3A was whole other ball game ;o)

I agree with Lozzer. Anything over 20mph is risky, it’s the sudden gusts and turbulence which are higher than ‘mean wind speeds’ and of course what may be 20mph on the ground for those of you with a wind meter gadget, will be considerably higher away from the ground and any sheltering hills and trees, these sheltering hills, buildings and trees cause an effect called ‘rotor’ which makes the air tumble into vortices. At the end of the day, SAFETY and safe flying is paramount, and we are all responsible for it. (Which, I assume means we can get our arses sued off if we ignore it)

2 Likes

Yes brian I completely agree :+1:

@McSteamy2010 Sometimes you only get one chance to take a shot and you need to know if your equipment can handle the wind or if it will get blown away. :slight_smile:
I had one day at the Black Sand beaches in Iceland and the wind was horrendous; literally 30-40mph gusts and I was going to have to fly over the sea. But purely thanks to the wind test I’d done for YouTube, (and the fact the wind was blowing onto shore), I knew the M2Pro would handle it and so I flew.
Look at the waves around the rocks. It was an insane flight…
Link jumps straight to 1:13

4 Likes

Wow Ian! Those waves are insane, can only imagine what the gusts were like! Great shots though and okay maybe worth it risking it. :+1:t4:

3 Likes

Great vid… And good to learn I can pus the boundaries of my M2P a little further if needed… Linked through the comments to the footage from Sneafellsnes (had to check the spelling 3 times!)… That waterfall is just stunning (2:22)