Mavic Air 2. Can the GPS be disabled?

The BMFA Quadcopter Basic Proficiency Certificate requires flying without GPS. Is this possible with the Mavic Air 2?

1 Like

It can, but it does require some tweaking of the parameter statements accessible from the Drone Hacks desktop app. You donā€™t need to purchase a DroneHacks ā€œHackā€ as access to the parameters is free, you just need to download the desktop APP.

Iā€™ve done it with my Spark and Mini2 but not with a Mavic. Iā€™m not at my PC at the moment so I couldnā€™t tell you which parameter statement needs to be edited.

2 Likes

Atti mode disables GPS Positioning. I used to have an MA2, but never tried it. As far as I am aware, you have 2 options:

1. Fly indoors and/or where there is no GPS signal, this will put it into Atti mode automatically.
  2. Download Drone Hacks and change the advanced parameters, repurposing one of RC switch modes (such as Cine mode)
1 Like

It is using drone hacks. @clinkadink will tell you more but I currently run ATTI mode on my 2S :+1:

1 Like

Beat me to it :joy::+1:

Adding ATTI mode:

Below are the steps I used for adding Atti Mode to the DJI Mini 2 and DJI Mavic 2 Pro:

01: Signup and download Drone Hacks software (Windows, Mac or Linux)
02: Install and run it, enter your Drone Hacks email and password
03: Get a USB C cable connected to your computer
04: Power on your drone, as soon as it beeps, plug the USB C lead into the drone
05: If OK, it will connect to your device
06: Then select the Advanced Parameters button
07: Search for ā€˜modeā€™, there should be 3 similar Flight switch position parameters ā€¦

• fswitch_selection|g_config_control_control_mode[0] = Tripod : factory value = 12 (Tripod)
  • fswitch_selection|g_config_control_control_mode[1] = Sport: factory value = 8 (Sport)
  • fswitch_selection|g_config_control_control_mode[2] Position (GPS): factory value =7 (Position)

08: Change Tripod/Cine value from 12 to 3, as 3 = Attitude Mode
09: Save and then select Write Parameters to Drone (or something like that).
10: You can then select Tripod/Cine mode in flight to change to Atti mode, as/when needed

No disclaimer? :scream: :joy:

Surely BMFA donā€™t expect people to disable GPS on drones that donā€™t come built with an easy, and factory implemented, means of disabling?

1 Like

For starters - that probably invalidates insurance ā€¦ etc.

1 Like

Done!

2 Likes

Maybe their wording hasnā€™t been updated, since the time when Atti mode was generally available on the older drones :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

If they are that far out of date - Iā€™d just not bother with them. LOL!

1 Like

Just like a lot of regulatory bodies ā€¦ heck ā€¦ even some CAA pages :wink:

1 Like

But - well over 5 years since the most significant drone without switchable ATTI was released - the MP - and during a period when drones have been a hot topic? :man_shrugging:

At least the CAA have larger planes to worry about.

1 Like

Iā€™m pretty sure that theyā€™ve changed it now, but they havenā€™t updated the web site wording.

Page 48 of the Feb 2022 magazine, says:
ā€œThe previous Camera Drone Basic Proficiency Certificate (BPC) and ā€œAā€ Certificate have now been combined into a single test, called the Camera Drone Certificate of Competence.
Importantly, the use of GPS is now permitted in this test, which opens it up to a wide variety of machines, with a view to attracting participation by many of our new British Drone Flyer membersā€

1 Like