Mavic Air 2 for New Pilot?

Hi,
As a new starter to this hobby (and this site) I have been researching the best first drone to buy. After doing research of the various options, prices, etc. I came to the conclusion that it would be no bad thing to go with a Mavic product as they are prevalent in the market and seem to have decent support.

I started looking at the Mavic Mini but am now gravitating to the Mavic Air 2 - for when it is available in the UK - as it would seem to be suitable for a first time pilot plus all the features that would be of interest to an advanced pilot.

Anyone else have any words of wisdom on this decision? Also, is it correct that the Mavic Air 2 supposed to be available for sale as of 14th May?

Thanks in Advance,
Mark

I began with a Mavic Air 1. A very capable and portable piece of kit and I think the Air 2 will continue the tradition. It seems a lot of aircraft for the money and sure - go for it!

While waiting watch as many videos as possible - on YouTube Ian in London is well worthwhile (he is also in he from time to time and on the photography side Stewart and Alina at Drone Film Guide

Don’t be afraid to ask questions in here, we have all started out from scratch so understand some of the early challenges in a flying career. If you haven’t done so already let people know where you are from and have a look at the members map, we are scattered around the country so there are probably some guys local to you who can help in the next few months as (and if) things get back to normal.

Thanks for your reply.

I have been watching a fair number of videos on YouTube for research and Ian in London was one of them (most seem to be in US or Canada).

I am in West London so will surely take a look at the members map. Appreciate your comments.

1 Like

The Mavic air 2 looks an awesome piece of kit.
You can pre order it on banggood for £825.00 delivery by the end of May.

As has probably been mentioned in other dark corners of the forum, it might be prudent to hold off for a couple of months. The Mavic Air 2 is being released in Europe initially without the Airsence/ADSB facility. DJI claim this is due to a shortage of the required components due to the spread of the human malware, but the components will be added in subsequent production runs when they become more plentiful. If you buy a Mavic Air 2 without the Airsense/ADSB function it CANNOT be added at a later date, and you will be buying an incomplete model.

Additional. It’s always prudent to be late to the party with any DJI release. This is because when they get onto the market many issues, including some that can be catastrophic, are found by new owners resulting in software, and in some cases essential hardware, changes.

Nidge.

Nidge.

3 Likes

I started with MA1 about 6 months ago but now looking would have loved the MA2… unfortunately cant justify another …

Sound advice, as always @Nidge !.

1 Like

I started with the Mavic Air, without experience of any other drones, and did not regret it in any way. I have learnt a great deal using an accurate, fast, safe and precise flying machine, and have ended up with some lovely videos (that half of my family and friends hate watching for more than 30 seconds; the other half won’t watch at all).

The Mavic Air 2 would be a desirable option for me, but like others here I am concerned about the future-proofing of the current European version. I certainly will not be upgrading soon, especially given that, 14 months in, my Mavic Air flies flawlessly.

A possible idea for you might be a second-hand Mavic Air (1)? Since DJI is offering only a minimal trade-in on these machines ($200+) their second-hand value will tumble.

Thanks Nidge. I also read about the lack of Airsense with the non-US versions, but I wonder how much of a loss that would be? From what I understand this feature is a must have in US because of the changes to law early in the year given they operate a lot of crop sprayers / helicopters that operate below the 400 ft threshold. It does sound like customers outside of the US are being short changed given that prices are the same.

I have been reading the US YouTube vlogs to see what they have been reporting as looks like the MA2 is already released there. So far the only thing I have seen to watch for is when charging batteries for the first time, and if you have the Fly More kit, do not charge using the smart charging hub, but charge from the wall charger first time.

Thanks for your comments!

Mark

1 Like

Thanks Dacherty. That’s a good point and researching the second hand MA1 option.