Mavic air 2 no cinematic mode? Help for the SSSs

Hey all.

Just tested my spanking brand new Mavic Air 2 and I have bitter sweet feelings about it.

I cannot seem to find the Intelligent cinematic flight mode that my old mavic air 1 had. The flights where ultra smooth and it didn’t have those jerky camera movements that the normal flight mode have (for me). Now, in the very short flight I had today, realise how much I relied on it.

Trying to find info about it, it seems that they have taken it out.

Does DJI not have feelings for SSSs (Sausage Síndrome Sufferer)?

Anyone missing this feature? How have you overcome it?

What is Cinematic mode? Is it when everything is slowed down for smooth movement and control? If so Mavic Air 2 has Tripod mode which does exactly that. Just switch the switch on the remote to T :+1:t2:

1 Like

I am afraid not. The original mavic air did also had tripod mode.

The cinematic mode was more of flying at normal speeds, but the turns where slower and the stopping speed is a lot slower. So when you fly and turn, does it look very smooth, even at normal speeds.

1 Like

Ah I see. Ive not used the Video modes at all yet. Ive been concentrating on learning the controls and taking a few pics (Im still really new to droning). I believe there are some settings you can change for Tripod mode but dont think speed of flight, braking distance etc are part of that. I think its mainly gimble speed of movement. Maybe its something they will add at a later date with firmware/app upgrades :crossed_fingers:t2:

I hope so, otherwise I think I might have made a mistake buying it.

What I do like is how quiet it flies, how stable it is in communicating with the remote “long distance” and above all, the flight time (an extra 13 minutes!!!),

2 Likes

Flying in tripod mode will stop the jerky movements in stopping by slowing down the speed of the craft but for me I find that far to slow for active track in spotlight mode so I tend to fly in normal mode it’s the happy medium between tripod mode and sport mode. But also what you can do with in the Fly app settings under control and advanced gimbal settings is adjust not only the gimbal speed and smoothness but also the speed of the yaw and there are separate settings for each mode so make sure you are adjusting the setting for the correct mode this will give the speed of normal mode for forward backwards and side to side but with a much smoother yaw if you slow it down somewhat making your turns less jerky.

I hope that makes sense and is somewhat helpful in achieving the old cinematic mode of the Air 1. The Air 2 was my first full size drone so I can’t really comment too much on the Air 1 as I moved up from the mavic mini as my first starting drone.

Let us know how you get on :+1:t2:

2 Likes

Great spot Deano! I will get around to taking video at some point and trying some of these features out myself :grin:

1 Like

I prefer video over photo as sometimes you can capture some awesome footage completely by accident and you also have the ability to rip a still frame from a video it’s how people get those extremely well timed photos things like a swan landing on a lake just as it hits the water or a lightning strike. You will more than likely find that they recorded the entire sequence and then just ripped a still frame from the video for the perfectly timed shot :ok_hand:t2:

1 Like

@Mind_the_gap Glad I managed to give you the solution you was looking for :+1:t2: :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Funny you should say that as Ive been thinking about trying some lightning shots and I found a vid on youtube that gave tips on how to capture a strike using photo techniques. Your idea of pulling a still from video footage would probably be an easier way to get the shot. Just got to wait for an electrical storm and for my balls to grow big enough to get out there with my MA2 now :rofl:

2 Likes

Hi @DeanoG60,

I think this might be what I was looking for. Now I will have to play with it a little. Thank you both.

2 Likes

As much as I like the tough, I do worry too much about what could happen if it would of got damaged. Saying that, I got a couple of slow-mow videos of a storm and I think the results are awesome! Not sure how you would capture photos, though.

1 Like

I never though of video as a source of photographs. Would it still be sharp and good enough to use it on a MA2?

1 Like

Not always, and even shooting 60fps at 3840×2160 you’re not going to get much (that would be worth publication or printing any decent size)

Depending on your edit software, you can either export a single frame or just screen shot of your player of choice.

1 Like

@milkmanchris even with great software we are limited to the video captured, that it is after all recorded with a very small sensor. If I pause my player or editor, it’s never as sharp as a photo. So even if you record in 4K and 60fps, I would be very surprise if you could get much quality out of it. Like you mentioned, unlikely to be able to get printing material.

2 Likes

Yeah 100% you’re not going to get professional level stills from a video. I was just stating you can get some cool stills from a video that would be social media worthy. I’m not a professional photographer or videography by any means I just enjoy playing with tech and creating cool media to share on social media so that my friends and family and anyone else can enjoy.

2 Likes

You describe me entirely. I am in the same boat. Might have to give it a try.

2 Likes

The method I found I cant remember the full settings details but it basically involes using long shutter speeds upto 8 secs and firing off lots of shots towards the area the lightning is striking. Will need the patience of a Saint and a good dose of luck too but I will give it a go when the opportunity arises :grimacing:

I managed to get this slow motion videos on my mobile in June. I find storms fascinating.

There are 5 very short videos.

2 Likes

Cool vids! I love watching storms too. There is something so humbling about the sheer power of nature :muscle:t2: lightning is just mesmerizing :grinning:

1 Like