Mavic Air 2 Overheat?

Just had the Air 2 for about 10 days, only two flights including this morning when a aircraft processor overheat came on. Haven’t had this before so did as it said, switched off and waited a while. Seemed to right itself and carried on. Upon landing to change battery same error on start up. Thought may be it was a iffy battery so swapped out but still same .
I have looked up error code and nothing much coming up except how to dismantle and clean fan, which of course I’m not going to do however easy you’ve says it is. There was a thread somewhere else saying that the process of continued writing to card maybe a issue ? Think the card I have should have been ok for 4K 30fps.
So question is, anyone had this issue ? Don’t want to have a overheat while in flight and a lost , crashed or heaven forbid a accident cause it fell from the sky mid flight. Attached is the error message and a pic of current sd card.
Weather is as Scotland 13c and no wind, no rain drizzle or snow :joy: which is unusual .
Any help / Advice would be great before I pull the trigger and return it to place of purchase for exchange or refund

If you power on the drone and put it on a table, can you hear the fan running? :thinking:

2 Likes

I did a test after some reading, started drone control etc and recorded at 4K 30fps, 25secs in fan came on but no warning on screen, let it run for 10 mins and fan was constant, powered off and fan kept going for further 30secs.
Latest firmware up to date and all good . Should say this was maybe 4 hours after returning home from morning flight.

There is nothing wrong with the SD card speed, best choice for 4K :clap:
As @PingSpike suggests this could be a faulty fan or maybe they forgot to plug it in properly on the production line.
If you are confident to open it up then check fan first, if not then you need to send it back or get experienced help.
Cheers
Steve :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

If you bought it locally I’d take it back.

3 Likes

Could even be that there isn’t enough heat paste over that processor or loose connection to fan either way. 10days and there are issues. I’d send it back a lot of money and with it not being anything that’s come to light before on YouTube etc then could be just a bad one off the line.

2 Likes

Yep, there’s just to much doubt to keep it … would always be worrying if it were happen and away from me … From what I’ve flown it’s a awesome piece of kit .

3 Likes

seems to be quite a few having this problem according to Dji forum
I would Take it back if you bought it local or raise it with Dji

1 Like

Seem to remember the fuck ups DJI made on the heat issues with the Phantom 2 Vision Drones, nothing changes !.
WiFi modules needed thermal paste mods to correct a heat issue.
Lost count of the amount of them I put right for people.

It’s one reason I’m not an early adopter of new models.
I’d rather see how things go for 6 months or so. Having said that though for some unknown reason I’m spending more time than I usually would looking for info on the MP3. Loving my MP and impressed with what I’ve seen of the MP2 I’ve got a sneaky feeling with SKYDIO and AUTEL releasing some decent kit that they will pull out all the stops on this one to hold onto there market share.

But the model was released 3 months ago, and the OP bought his 10 days ago.

Hardly an “early adopter”.
I’d define that as first month for something where so many were sold/used worldwide in that period for common problems to have been reported and fixed before 3 months.

Also - MANY members already have the MA2, and this is the only report we’ve had.

I wasn’t trying to say that Cheenix was an early adopter as such. It was a general statement on my part.
It is worth noting though that it was released end of April and due to lockdown etc there is a possibility that any issues may be a little further down the time frame.
I have a great deal of faith in DJI products but at the same time I well aware of the rigours of mass production and quality control. Things slip through the net.
I think most would agree most things have teething issues on release and one or two firmware updates down the line normally sort it.

1 Like

Have to be honest I did a fair amount of thinking before taking the plunge and the problems which were raised were easily fixed with firmware updates. I work in retail so realised that any new product is gonna have issues to start with but having something flying up to 400 ft and failing is a serious safety issue and that’s a worry here.
The dji forums have a few where it appears the heat sink is either faulty or requires a simple refix, but really don’t fancy opening up a £800 drone to do a diy repair while still in warranty :joy::joy:
Going to return it tonight and exchange so hopefully it’s just a one off.

1 Like

Take 2, only question now is how do I change the refresh, presume dji support can do that for me ?

Just to update, exchanged Mavic Air 2 as the processor was overheating and causing concern. Can someone confirm when the fan is supposed to start, is it from switch on ? Or just when required ? Or does it spin all the time. Just want to make sure everything ok with this one . Thanks in advance .

Probably as required. I know that’s the case for my MP

Just tested. It just took 4.5 mins, sat on the floor in the lounge, for them to come on.

2 Likes

Yes it’s just as required. When the MA2 starts up you hear the fans go on twice for a short while - part of a self test I guess - then they go off. After then it should be as required.

1 Like

An improvement on the MP.
Had to replace my fan when it failed. Only knew it had failed because I was doing something that needed it to be switched on for a few minutes for something I was checking. So found out when it was on the deck … and it just powered down.
I’m not sure they ever come on much when flying … usually enough air-flow.

2 Likes