Mavic Pro newbie needs help first time flying (Bristol Area)

Hi.
Myself n the missus bought a 2nd hand but rarely used Mavic Pro fly more with DJI goggles in January.
We haven’t flown it yet for several reasons other than these below.
We’re both android users and on the box it says IPhone compatible, so this evening i’v bought a 2nd hand iphone 7plus for a oner… great deal… we’re going to purchase the DJI care and then we’re good to go.
Tbh… we both have trepidation about flying this pretty expensive bit of kit without losing it or crashing the thing so I thought I’d ask if there’s any Bristol based mavic pilots that wouldn’t mind one or both of us tagging along on your next time out with your Mavic just to show us the ropes around using it with the DJI Go app, y’ know, the do’s and don’t’s and generally steering us in the right direction.
Happy to pay an hourly rate for an hour or 2 so we essentially feel comfortable and confident flying our drone.
I’v recently bought a cheapo drone (Visuo Battle Drone) just to get to grips with actually flying and steering it and that’s been fine but it’s cheap and very light and the wind wants to take it in every direction at once.
K, feel free to get in touch… we’re happy to travel a distance out of Bristol if you reside within 10/15 or so miles.
Hope to hear from one of you luvverly peeps soon.
K.
Best.
Chief B.:wink:

6 Likes

Welcome Chief. Sell the I phone. The app is available on android, and trying to get your head around iOS whilst learning to fly isn’t something I’d do. the MP is totally compatible with android and you know your way round android.
If you can fly the Visuo outside you will be more than ok with the MP.
It’s practice more than anything. Learning the camera is a different thing, which once you are comfortable with flying then you can take the camera off auto.
Enjoy the craft and going against convention, let her have a go, then you can have a hobby you can do together.:thinking:

7 Likes

Hey chief, another Mavic pro pilot here :pray: based just down the road from you near Taunton. I’d be happy to assist you inflight. :ok_hand: feel free to drop me a DM to set things up.

5 Likes

Hi All,

I’m in Highbridge M5 Jct 22, happy to meet up with anyone and help.
More the merrier ? :grinning:

AndyM

6 Likes

See, this is why I love this forum - 1 serious request followed up by 2 offers of direct help as opposed to “Go watch youtube” - just brilliant.

8 Likes

We like to help unlike other drone forums!

1 Like

This us why I’m well and truly addicted to GADC perfect members and the only silly questions are the one’s that aren’t asked

4 Likes

:+1:

Hi Chief another pilot with Mp in the yate area moe than happy to meet up weather permitting :grinning:

3 Likes

Also see SOUTHWEST meet TBD

2 Likes

Guys…wow.
Awesome stuff… thank you all for your replies.
Haven’t made me feel silly for asking, so glad I signed up to greyarrows.
Silverfox, your absolutely right about not getting fobbed off with “Watch YouTube”.
Tbh… i have watched a shed ton of YT vids which have been v helpful but much like being forced to scan and bag me own shopping at the supermarket only to be constantly informed by an automated voice I have an “unexpected item in the bagging area” the only way around that is to have an actual human come and assist with the problem in that moment.
Hence myself n m’lady would both feel more confident having a trusty experienced mavic pilot with us first time round,I know we’ll both have questions that can be answered there and then which will enable confidence in both of us flying the thing next time round on our jack jones.
Stevesb, many thanks for your heads up about the iPhone, I’ll keep it for now but ideally if i can use the Android then happy days.
AndyM & McSteamy, your both prob a bit too far away from where we are but bless ya both for your offers.
Pilningpilot, you’re not too far from us so we’d prob like to take you up on a meet up if that’s cool with you.
The missus is having a weekend away with the girls til Sunday afternoon, I’ll have a word with her when she gets back and hopefully we can sort out a time and place to meet up with yourself.
K… it’s super late so better get orf to noddyland!
Pilningpilot… we’ll be in touch.
Have a banging weekend all.
Be safe, that virus ain’t finished yet by a long chalk.
Ttfn.
Best.
Chief :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hi,
Happy to help with flying your MP and setting it up.
I have a MP too and private area to fly.
I’m a bit further away from you across the bridge near chepstow
If you’re over this way give me a shout
Regards
Stuart

1 Like

My advice is just get out there with it. I bought a Mavic Air in 2018, over 700 quid, so was very wary about having a go.
I just went out into a BIG field, set it up, and took off. I just flew it up, down, left and right, backwards and forwards, then got brave and flew around in a big loop, then some figure eights. The good thing about these ‘proper’ drones is if you get a bit concerned just let go of the sticks and press the return home button and watch it land.
As per previous advice, forget about the camera for now, just get used to flying it.
I bought a ‘cheap’ drone to have a go first, but it’s like chalk and cheese, the DJI’s are just so stable.
Just take your time and enjoy it together, I wish my missus would learn to fly a drone, i might still have mine :rofl:

1 Like

this struck a chord - A youtuber friend of mine back home in Thailand is a very accomplished flyer for many many years. My wife is friends with his, so when I started he organised it all - purchase, licences etc etc - he then gave us so much time in teaching the basics as, being a Geordie, he didn’t want us to have any accidents or “Loose thy monneeyyyyy”. A weekend saw us right, and my Mrs thoroughly enjoyed flying a MP having never even seen such a device before. Hilarious AND a good learning experience. IMHO you’ve done the right thing in asking - we have all been there. I would also add that out there flying is easy ( little rain and no wind most of the time ) but since being in Wales for a while I’ve had to learn again - these conditions can be very unnerving and I’m super careful even now. Looking forward to finishing this contract and getting home sometime this year to put it back up in the air without needing a weather app lol :pray: I have NO doubt the guys here will see you both 100% right.

3 Likes

Thanks v much Stuart for the offer.
We’ll prob hit Pilning pilot up but sounds like you got some decent airspace to rock out with your mavic there.nice.
Also thanks to again to Silverfox and the hilariously named Captain Crash!.. much appreciate the sound advice ya both offered up there…ta muchly.
Right O… once again this night owl needs his kip!
Til next time, fellow flyers.
Over n out!

1 Like

Yep we have westerligh common just down the street from my pad. Very large open area good for.practice. sadly I am grounded at the moment and not allowed back to work until the end of the month. We could do this with each of us at opposite ends and some semaphore signalling. That might work. Lol😀

2 Likes

Hey PP.
Just pm’d ya… hope to hear from ya soon.
Cheers.
Chief :slight_smile: