Menwih Hill and Fylingdales

So I was perusing the Drone Scene map of where to fly and where to definitely not. I notice that Fylingdales, over Whitby way has a big red warning of electronic interference, and a definite FRZ. Fortunately Hole of Horcum is just outside it, and has accessible TOAL spots even though it is a SSSI.

However Menwith Hill, off the A59 between Harrogate and Bolton Abbey has no hint of restriction whatsoever. I’m pretty sure that if you try and fly over that configuration of golf balls you are at risk of being shot down by the “RAF” staff who work there. Everybody who lives on the A59 corridor knows what it is, but I wonder if some offcomers have been tempted to overfly it. I have no such plans. Though I do want to fly Kex Gill to Blubberhouses, and over to Thruscross reservoir, which are right on the edge of Menwith Hill’s footprint.

Edit: if only the wind would ever die down up there …

It’s an RAF installation but is mainly staffed by US NSA personnel and UK GCHQ and members of the UK Armed Forces in the SIGINT theatre.

However be careful with both establishments and the brand new National Security Act 2023. See the thread below.

Spent a lot of time on the base in my youth

Good bowling alley and great burgers and shakes :wink:

Yeah, they offered me a job after I retired and came back to the UK. I was working in a civilian US Agency (the National Institute of Standards and Technology) and shared my office for a while with a guy who had spent 3 years there. His wife and daughters knew all about Yorkshire. He knew nothing but the inside of that place. I can’t understand why people who do that line of work are obsessive workaholics. I thought being relaxed in retirement on a perfectly adequate pension was a whole lot better way of sailing into the sunset. So I can fill my time with drones, guitars and hiking boots.