Mild Acro mode practice

As title says, some practice flying in Acro mode. Very mild, no tricks or freestyling attempted, but I was happy with the confidence I’ve built to fly a little further out, and over fields that would require some scrambling and climbing to get to if things went wrong.

I must say, I’m still not happy with the Runcam Thumb and it’s inability to cope with vibration very well. Gyroflow makes it look worse, and no combination of settings in Gyroflow made any difference. I’ll keep trying, but I could see the Thumb being relegated to Walrus duty if I can’t get a handle on how to make the vibration disappear.

4 Likes

If anything, it could be a good thing that it shows the vibrations. A clean running quad is good all round for many reasons i guess?

That is true, I was trying to get blackbox logs, but the on board flash seems to have a problem…
Diatone Roma L4 with Mamba FC, I may need to reflash BF to see if that clears it, but I’m worried I’ll mess up the tune. I’ll maybe wait and see if there is much feedback on BF4.3 and chance my arm.

Yeah the gyro in the Runcam Thumb struggles to get rid of that sort of vibration. It’s more about smoothing your moves. It is possible to get some improvement, but you have to follow the guides carefully… (firmware upgrade, 43Hz Filter, etc)

I’ve had more luck with the gyro stabilisation in GoPros or Caddx Peanut/Insta360 Go2.

I suspect those low frequency vibrations you’re getting are something to do with the frame, the motors or actually it can just be the wind.

First thing I’d do is run up the motors (without props!) in betaflight configurator and look at the gyro graph that is shown on the same page to see if any of them are vibrating excessively. It’s unlikely that all are bad, but you should be able to see if one or two are. Any damage is usually from a bent bell. Having said that, that sort of problem usually results in Jello, which I’m not seeing in your video.

I’ll try spinning up the motors individually and checking the gyro feed. I did check all the screws were tight on the frame before but I’ll check the motors.

I’ll change the props too for good measure.

I would be flying with the Caddx Peanut if I had checked the mounting the first time I flew it and it hadn’t disappeared…

1 Like

I know the pain. Mine has been lost in the Shanghai lock down for the past 3 months thanks to being whacked into a wall and being sent back to Caddx at exactly the wrong time.