Mini 2 sound recording

A friend wants me to video him riding his Ducati round some S bends. I’m thinking of planting a sound recorder of some kind alongside the road. Anyone got any good ideas that won’t break the bank and what’s a good, free programme to stitch the two together?

Stick a phone there, or a GoPro

Any editing software will do the job ;o)

2 Likes

Phones all over the place including on the bike. Just be careful to shield from wind.

1 Like

Go pro cost is too much. Would phone quality be good enough?

1 Like

What phone do you have?

1 Like

iPhone SE. Trouble is that will be in control of the drone.

Thats a problem indeed

1 Like

Use his phone with a temp 16GB SD card and stick it behind the windscreen/faring to shield from the noise. Better still connect a cheap wand mic with windsock to it (cheap on Amazon) and your good to go. Just transfer all files from both phones onto the one comp and edit away.

1 Like

I like the idea of getting the approaching and leaving sound which is why I’d planned on something fixed next to the road

Why don’t you stand by the road and get him to ride by a few times to record some audio on your phone of him approaching and passing you and then edit it in after?

1 Like

You could even get him to give you a ride around the same route, record on your phone and edit in afterward too :wink:

1 Like

Sounds like a plan :+1:

2 Likes

If you ever see people clap at the start of a video this is often done in order to use in post to sync up the audio from multiple sources.

2 Likes

Continuing the discussion from Mini 2 sound recording:

Zoom H2n is a moderately priced excellent and compact audio recorder. I’ve been using the previous H2 version for years and am still delighted with the quality. Comes with a foam wind muff.

If you use Davinci Resolve it’ll auto sync all that based on waveform. I’m sure other editors do it, but I don’t use them so can’t say for sure.

The cheap shotgun mic on the bike is the best bet. Then get other audio from the corners and add it in after. Remember, editing is non-linear. Almost none of the sound you hear on TV is captured at the same time as the video.

And a great deal of the background sound is not the sound of the object it depicts.

1 Like

Indeed. A friend of mine is a top sound engineer in the TV & movie industry. His dog once provided Hugh Grant’s snores.

2 Likes

Great, now you’ve got me trying to get my dog to growl so I can compare it to the sound of a Ducati. Good job I’ve got a boxer :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Boxer? Maybe he can imitate a BMW twin …

1 Like