Mini 2 'strays' into Birmingham Airport NFZ!

Own up, who was it?

4 Likes

Birmingham airport. Lovely runway that is usually cross wind :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

Clearly a busy day for WMP drone police.

2 Likes

What sort of simpleton have you got to be to get caught :person_shrugging:

How does a DJI drone enter a DJI NFZ?

2 Likes

Same thought had crossed my mind. Third party app or hacked I assume.

3 Likes

Shocking. Who would do such a thing?

2 Likes

Iā€™m sure no respectable drone flying citizen would ever do such a thing. :smirk:

3 Likes

Gotta be a proper bellend, was probably going live on FaceTube, hi guys :wink:

4 Likes

Joking aside, itā€™s the sort of publicity the hobby doesnā€™t need. Sorry to be boring, Iā€™ll get back in my box!

7 Likes

Is it likely big airports have DJI Aeroscope installations?

2.5 miles is a big area but still, he must have been using Litchi as I thought the native DJI Fly app would have prevented the flight? :man_shrugging:. Iā€™ve not tried in mine but a nob for getting caught tooā€¦ Wonder how the police knew? Two local Specials in a local park maybe?

The geofences are on the Aircraft firmware, so should trigger whatever app is used.

2 Likes

For the ā€˜Argosā€™ flyers amongst us maybe, for those who like a little more freedom thats not the case ;o)

1 Like

This is DS with only the DJI geozones. Itā€™s not how I remember it, Iā€™m sure there only used to be the red outline. Anyway, underneath the ā€œ2ā€ are 2 nuclear power stations. A local once posted a YouTube video near the harbour taken with a Mini or a 2. If itā€™s strictly the red area then you could fly a DJI drone within a few yards of Heysham A by going out over the bay and back over the harbour water.

Iā€™ll try flying on the edge of the wider zone when I get chance, unless @stevesb who often flies at that end of town has already tried it?

Edit: this was posted 4 months ago, flew to the edge of the red zone. The #tags include #DJI so it looks like I could fly within the outer zone.

Not sure with the fly app but on the go 4 this morning it just warned and i had to confirm i would take responsibility for the flight.
Some one else flew up there and got arrested as well.
st peters at heysham is fine done that a few times

Well, yes ā€¦ :slightly_smiling_face:

DJI Aeroscope

It can detect the exact location of the drone and user in a 50km range (30 miles which is standard premium model is 50 miles) in 2.5 seconds. It gives all details of the drone and the user.

You have been warned. Big brother is watching.

4 Likes

Thatā€™s so cool! Also quite scary!

1 Like

I had an unexpected warning due to absent-mindedness on my part. Iā€™m always very conscious of Sizewell A, B and C and normally fly well outside the NFZ. I found a great derelict property in the woods and was so elated with the find, all thoughts of the Sizewells were forgotten. As I rose to take a safe GPS signal, I had an on-screen warning and ticked the box accepting responsibility, realising what it was about.

Had my short and perfectly safe flight and disappeared. I confess, I half expected a knock at the door from CNC, but it didnā€™t happen (yet). It was only JUST inside the red area on Altitude Angel.