Mini 4 Pro In Fog

I just had to to try it…

Rec 2020 HLG 1000 nits, HEVC CBR CPU Rendered.

13 Likes

Did you have any issues with moister ingress in the camera or drone?

None in the camera or the lens, I used lens hood so kept the wet away, the arms were wetter than the body due to prop wash.

1 Like

Where do you get a lens hood for the mini 4 pro?

Lovely shots!

I tried flying in very low cloud last summer with a DJI Mini 3 Pro and its sensors kept confusing the cloud below it with the ground and so was reluctant to fly down from any slight height and it was a struggle to get it back down on the ground. It was mildly nerve-racking.

The shots in my video where it seems to descend are mostly ascents in reverse ;o)

1 Like

Turn sensors off. :+1:

First I apologise for the late reply, I’m having some health issues and not feeling up to much. The video is the short version of testing the Mini in fog.

The lens hood is a custom 3D printed own design, it worked well panning around the church as it deflected the moisture away from the lens.

I avoided flying straight ahead at speed which would have caused a buildup of droplets.

The hood is still experimental and as such it’s just another tool that is useful in certain conditions and lighting.

I bought a reel of black ABS which isn’t Matt which turned out to be too reflective and useless, so it’s now a case of printing with PLA-Carbon grey Matt.

So it’s a case of when I can get Matt ABS or ASA to print out for those who’ve been waiting for me.

Sorry to hear that you are having health issues, I hope you will be feeling better soon.

I haven’t got brave enough to fly the mini 4 pro in fog yet but I was interested in the lens hood because I do find that the mini 4 pro suffers from glare on the lens when a filter is fitted.

If you are able to print some hoods later I would be interested in buying one from you.

Any model shop will sell you a little pot of matt black paint.
(But a good photographic shop might have an even matter blacker paint.)

1 Like

Thank you, I’ll have to get my finger out and get it done…

1 Like

I sounds like it’s worth a try, it’d have to be the thinnest skim possible to keep the gimbal from overloading.
If anyone has a link to a photo shop selling some they’ve used and know it’s good, I’ll order some and try it.

I have a pot of it in a cupboard somewhere, but that will be about fifty years old !

I googled it, the only thing that looks fairly good is this:

However, ordinary model paint may do the job.

3D Printing the part with internal ridges at the finest resolution, as you may have seen inside some lenses, will help. They could be even finer if using resin printing.

Somewhere online there maybe a DIY telescope builder’s forum that could offer ideas.

All the modeller’s paints will be found on Ebay.

Flocking?
https://www.flockingltd.co.uk/products/small-black-diy-flocking-kit?variant=31644482797646
Brush some glue on the inside of the hood and use the supplied puffer to add some flocking to the glue. The end result looks like a lens hood from one of the big camera makers.

In the stress of the moment it never occurred to me! Thanks ;o)