Mini 4 Pro - Lens flare with DJI ND Filters

I’m not a big user of ND filters, but thought maybe I should change that so I’ve had the ND-64 on for the last few flights. I’ve noticed a pretty obvious lens flare across the opposite corner to the sun… and not of the Michael Bay “Wow, check out that awesome lens flare” type.

As I say, not a big user of ND filters in the past, but I have used them and I can’t say anything like this has leapt out at me. But I’ve got the same on three or four different videos.

So, wondering what the consensus is on this - pretty standard, or should I be raising an eyebrow at this particular filter?

Personally, I think you may be expecting a lot from a relatively simple camera, with no shading from a lens hood and comparatively simple filters. With the sun low in the sky, there’s always the chance of flare, even with very costly optics on an expensive camera, in those conditions.

Simply changing the camera angle relative to the sun could have reduced the flare, possibly at the expense of the composition. Also, make sure that your lenses and filters are clean, with no smudges, finger marks or scratches, which will also contribute to marring of the image.

Doesnt help at this time of year when the sun is so low in the sky

When flying over water particularly, you will find a massive difference just by using a polarising filter to cut down reflections.