Mobile Telephone Masts

Hello all, i have spotted an interesting tower/folly near me that i would like to do a shoot of however it is plastered in mobile phone antennas, would these be an issue for an dji drone? would the signals interfere with my drone or my flight in any way? Thanks in advance.

3 Likes

No, it should not be. I have flown around one near me with the M2P and the Mini 2 with no issues whatsoever. Check out the video below from about 27 secs. I have flown much closer and right next to it with no problems.

5 Likes

great stuff thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Don’t think any dji drones work in the spectra used by 2/3/4/5G.

As a designer and surveyor of mobile sites I can confirm that you will be fine.

3 Likes

thank you for your help :slight_smile:

I have a small commercial job to do and will be using the Mini 2. Near the site there is a telephone tower. Done a lot of searches on google and just wondering if anyone has had any issues.
I have been able to find out that the tower is giving a signal of 900 MHz and this is below the frequency of the drone, 2.4 GHz and 5.8 GHz (that’s 2400 MHz and 5800 MHz). I can fly some 100m or so away from the tower to get the photos I need. Thanks in advance.

You should be fine, I’ve flown mine (M2P) close to quite a few never had a problem, first sign of a glitch, just reverse course out of there

You may find these videos useful - ‘All about drones’ cell towers part 1 & 2

@Tony92 Thanks - I will keep away some distance and do a short test flight before - much appreciated.

New 5G phone masts are popping up all over the place, do these mast effect the drones , like the nmini 2 drone for example ?

I very much doubt it

They give you covid though, lol

How do you tell if it’s a 5G mast?

By the number of control cabinets on the pavement by it !

Yes (assuming you mean affect). Loads of potential impacts on all types of drone.

If you fly through space now occupied by a mast, you will collide with it.
You can use the cabinets as takeoff platforms.
Collision avoidance might be triggered if you get close to a mast.
The shadow cast by the mast can either spoil or enhance images.
To maintain visual contact with your drone you may have to walk round the mast.
Your mobile signal strength may improve.
Battery life on your mobile may be extended.
In high winds you may encounter wake turbulence on the leeward side.
You might find spare drone parts near the base due to previous collisions with the mast, if drone owners leave the bits behind.
Investment building masts might cause increases in your phone bill so you have to delay buying that spare battery, reducing flying time.

1 Like

A bit of a moot point. As recreational flyers we are required to maintain a specific distance from structures not under our control. This exceeds the nearfield effect that may cause disruption to the drone.

I have flown a Phantom right in front of a VHF antenna fed with 200Watts, and the antenna had a gain of 18dBd, which equates to an effective radiated power of approximately 12.8kW. Nothing happened on that day.

1 Like

Shhh don’t tell everyone!! :joy::joy::joy::joy: