Mobile no fly zone in Glen Mallan

Announced via Twitter ( and I assume elsewhere too ) there is a 3 mile NFZ around HMS Queen Elizabeth, currently visiting Glen Mallan

Her normal anchorage at Portsmouth is just marked as ‘high risk’ on the NATS map, not an NFZ

3 Likes

LOL at this response: :man_facepalming:

23 Likes

Just love that response
Why are you a 65,000 tonne Royal Navy Aircraft Carrier…?

Lol

Ermmm I think it can go where ever it wants.

2 Likes

It’s probably getting munitions loaded.

2 Likes

I think you’re right - it mentions the Northern Ammunition jetty in a newspaper article about the visit

1 Like

I thought it was one word … Glenmallan?

Seems the Scottish police are unaware. :stuck_out_tongue:

That’s a bit extreme. One might have hoped a naval ship can protect itself without closing down the whole area? :laughing:

2 Likes

As several ships discovered in Falkland Sound, being surrounded by mountains limits the usefulness of air defence radar :frowning:

2 Likes

As if something that wanted to evade radar would get to the limit of a NOTAM and head back home.

:rofl:

2 Likes

I think you would need to be crazy to fly in that area anyway.

You’ve got Faslane, RNAD Coulport, DM Glen Douglas and Glen Mallen jetty all pretty close.

Since it’s being loaded from scratch I’m guessing there will be hundreds of tonnes of munitions moving by road and sitting out in the open.

2 Likes

Simply means they have a good excuse to shoot down without warning anything which ignores the NOTAM and enters the NFZ :wink:

1 Like

Can’t beat live target practice for training. Let them come! :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

It’s a very funny twitter account, here’s another:

:rofl:

17 Likes

Aye… But that’s closing down the Clyde Coast from Ardrossan to Clydebank… most of Loch Lomond etc. etc. the normal restrictions are a bit more logical/reasonable. How many decades have big scary boat things been mixin it wi’ the Yachtties up there? It’s not even as if the zone is centred on the place where they’ll be getting loaded up - actually that’s quite near the edge. - If Comrade McPutin was planning on bombing the place with his Советский Фантомски Дрон - He’d himself get holed up at Inverarnan…

Meanwhile, if you see a wean with a kite on Milport it’s quick fast phone the polis!

• It’ll be away soon enough I hope. :roll_eyes:
1 Like

Hang on… is it the zone you’ve shown on the map here (where from), or a zone that will move with the ship?

It’s the location of the related NOTAMs.

They will be in location for whatever time period wired in the NOTAM.

Whether there will be others, and of those others will be in the same/different locations we have no way of telling.

1 Like