Moments of Serenity - Gordale Scar, Yorkshire Dales

A cold but sunny day at the start of March allowed us the opportunity to get out early and take a trip to the Yorkshire Dales, with all 3 drones in the car and a need to fly and brush off the winter no-fly blues!

Our first idea was to head to Ribblehead and then Bolton Castle, before coming back via Gordale Scar and Malham, but on leaving we decided to reverse the direction and head to Gordale first, and although it was busy, it was not too busy for a flight.

Met a MAVIC 2 drone flyer on the walk in - told him about Grey Arrows, then flew the MINI3 Pro in close to the falls, the high overhanging cliffs made it difficult to get any satelite signal, so the flight was taken slowly and with great care. Then we retreated back along Gordale Beck and flew the AIR3 - staying further away from people as per CAA rules and my A2CofC licence permissions - and captured the more distant vistas…

Following on from this we flew up a snow clad Pen-y-Ghent and Fountains Fell, then onto Ribblehead to capture the Viaduct surrounded by snow clad peaks, and then finally on to a windfarm overlooking the Irish Sea and with views to the snow capped Mountains of the Lake District - footage of these to follow soon, once edited…

Editing the footage was interesting, a piece of music by the Icelandic composer Johann Johannsson suggested itself to me, a majestic yet slow and deceptively simple piece, so bracing myself for the fact that most won’t have the attention span to last 3 minutes let alone 6 minutes I decided to go with it and produce something serene, relaxing and very chilled out - I hope I have succeeded!

17 Likes

Beautiful video very relaxing

1 Like

Thanks Paul, appreciate the watch and comment, glad it was enjoyed…

Well done, loved it :muscle:

1 Like

Thanks John, appreciated matey :slight_smile:

1 Like

Videographer & photographers paradise that, very nice & stunning scenery, on the :bucket: list that place, well done. I need some of that in my life :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks Rich, it was definitely an inspiring place to fly, a few nervous moments, but worth it for sure…

1 Like

Very nice indeed, some lovely shots, and very nice music score.

1 Like

Thank you Philip, much appreciate the comment and the watch :slight_smile:
Music is something I first heard about 4 years ago, by Johann Johannson, an amazing composer from Ideland…

Amazing footage in an area I know very very well.
Just wondered how many satellites you were locked onto?
As a very new flyer I’d be very nervous flying there.

1 Like

Hi Shawn, thanks for watching and for the kind words, they are appreciated.

Above the gorge with the AIR3 I had 23 Satelites, but in the Gorge with the MINI3 Pro I hd to wait to get 12, and that dropped quite quickly, I was hyper aware of the fact and kept my focus unwaveringly on the drone, as did my spotter, to ensure we flew as safely as possible and did not pass too close to anything that may have brought the drone down…

Yes I was nervous, but once I had a handle on how the drone was performing, and the fact that there was virtuallly no wind in the girge, then I was able to focus on the footage and capturing what we wanted… Hope that helps!

1 Like