Morning Flight Cut Short

I have had loads of anti droners approach me in the past. Some i have managed to convert after showing them what I am doing, however some will never be happy. If your within all restrictions and limits, then just ignore them. I had police called on me once, they came and after short discussion with me showing them all information and area with no restrictions they simply informed the moaning mini I was quite within my rights to carry on. When you fly just make sure you are prepared for these people and all will be good.

1 Like

Never say ā€œas far as you are aware, didnā€™t need oneā€.

You have to be firm. ā€œ Its under 249gms, and as per CAA rules, does not require oneā€.

Adding ā€œThis flight is in full compliance with all applicable laws, and what I am doing is entirely legal, and anyone believing it isnā€™t, has been misinformedā€.

Confidence slays the bullies.

4 Likes

You might find the downloadable files here useful as a way of deflection

I have them printed out, but have so far not needed them

3 Likes

I have the older ones of these if anyone wants them. The ones that donā€™t have a QR code that now promotes his own website. :roll_eyes:

But like yourself. Never needed them. Most YouTube confrontation videos are just click bait.

1 Like

Or f**k off and mind your own business works

All good advice, but next time ask who they are, if itā€™s just Joe Bloggs tell them they must leave you alone as they will be braking Aviation regs by distracting you whilst flying,

Got this from Geeksvana Youtube channelā€¦ could be useful. He has several one for each type of UAVā€¦

Cheers

4 Likes

The confidence will grow. Donā€™t be put off.

No need to ask permission either. Anyā€™ no droneā€™ signage will only relate to Take Off and Land (TOAL) from that property. It will not relate to the airspace, despite whatever the sign says. Respect those signs for TOAL only. You might see these on NT land for example.

The best way to approach anyone talking to you is to state that you are compliant with the laws on flying drones, but you appreciate their concern.

If there is an issue, ask to be able to land the drone first and then you can have a chat. As currently there is a risk if flying and your attention is not on the craft.

As long as you have complied with the CAA drone code, you are good to go.

The only time I was approached was last week by Military Security - mind you I was within a stones throw of an active runway!! But then I had all my details and permission for ATC. I also carry copies of my paperwork to show just in case. So they can see my insurance and ā€˜licenceā€™ to fly. A non-drone flyer will not know what a licence is or isnā€™t anyway - showing them a piece of official looking paper will deal with most I suspect.

Donā€™t be put off - get the drone back in the air and keep flying.

I look forward to seeing more of your great photos.

1 Like

Wikipedia says stewardship of the castle was transferred from county to town council and the town councilā€™s website has no reference to drone or UAV.

County council donā€™t like them but the relevant page talks about not flying within 50m of people so itā€™s not been updated since the change.

Canā€™t see why you canā€™t TOAL from there.

1 Like

What a lot of this is to do with is ignorance. Some folk think the drone will crash into them or their precious pooch. Much as 8 love them, dogs are far more dangerous because they have a mind of their own and not navigated by 20-odd satellites and a person. Clare is a lovely place and I intend to film there soon, Iā€™m more worried about bumping into my ex-wife who lives nearby!!!

Edited to make perfect sense ;o)

1 Like

I canā€™t stand busy bodies who have nothing better to do than to moan about what other people are doingā€¦ I personally would have told him to go away and read up more about flying droneā€™s and mind his own business. The images look great, well done. I hope to see more from you and continue to enjoy flying.

1 Like

Really need a ROFL reaction emoji for posts like this :rofl:

2 Likes

Iā€™m more worried about bumping into my ex-wife who lives nearby!!!

Oooooh X wife, is she more dangerous than a dog then

2 Likes

Crikey this takes me back!! As a volunteer with the Conservation Corps I helped clear undergrowth and paths when the Country Park was created in 1972. One of the local dignitaries who showed great interest in what we were doing was Lady Pleydell-Bouverie, once lady-in-waiting to the Queen. She was charming. Happy memories! Thanks for the reminder.

1 Like

Thanks rustybarnet

Thats the best reply,

2 Likes

Thanks for the advice DroneGeek, itā€™s very reassuring. Iā€™ll print off the necessary paperwork and keep them with me, just in case.

RocknRoll_Queen

1 Like

Oh yes

1 Like

Thanks Richard20D

First (polite) question is ā€˜who are you please?ā€™
When they look at you as if youā€™ve asked them about quantum physics the next, politely asked, question is ā€˜what authority do you have to say I canā€™t fly here?ā€™ Are they the landowner, from the council, national trust or whatever, or just a nosey Parker? If theyā€™re not an official Iā€™d say Iā€™m flying here legally and I have a copy of the regulations with me if youā€™d like to have a look. Itā€™s 300 pages long. I keep a copy of CAP 722 on my iPad.
So far, fortunately, everyone whoā€™s spoken to me has been interested in the drone.

3 Likes