Moving programs off my MacBook Pro M2 to an external ssd

Hello :smiley:

I have four programs on my MacBook Pro that I don’t use but I don’t want to just delete them as they was quite expensive, reason I am trying to do it is to free up space as they use quite a bit of ram, I’ve never done this before so I have no clue, also as these programs frequently have updates I don’t know if they have to be on my mac to be updated or can be on the external ssd & be updated when plugged in, this is very new territory for me so pleases excuse, I then want to completely delete the programs from my mac to free up space as said, is this possible would anyone know, or is there part of the programs that needs to stay on the mac for the programs to work from the ssd if & when I try to use them, ( if that makes sense )
If it is possible is it easy steps would anyone know,
Programs I am trying to move off my mac is from topaz labs photo editing software which again eats up ram, any advice / steps in the right direction would be really appreciated,
Many thanks

1 Like

If you own them, I am sure they will be downloadable again, nearly all apps nowadays are downloadable, who uses CD’s or Bluray’s nowadays.
Check each programs website and check the availability of downloads, and if they can be downloaded, make sure you have the serial number, or as many do now just the sign in details
Do you not use the AppStore on your MacBook?
If you do they will always be there in your available downloads, not on this machine

Yes I do own them but did not want to go through the agg in downloading them hence the question putting them onto ssd if ever I wanted to use again,

Yes I have an account with my details attached to the programs,

No I don’t use the App Store at all,

These are not in the App Store so I don’t think that is possible,
I was meant to say above in first post, these also work as a plugin alongside photoshop & likes of etc & as said I don’t have a clue about this kinda thing but, whilst there installed on my Mac I can access them in photoshop if ever I needed to but if I can find a way to get them on to a ssd, I’m wondering if they’ll still open when I access photoshop as the plugin they are but can be used as a stand alone program but is more agg, or because there no longer on the mac itself would photoshop still recognise from the ssd,
I did do some google research on it last night & this morning but there’s mixed conversations / opinions & got no real answer about it so I thought I’d ask here,
Once again thank you ….

Rich, open Finder, navigate to the Applications folder, then just drag and drop the .app file from here over to your SSD:

2 Likes

Plugins can be saved, but installs of programs cannot, you would need the installation program itself, but yes plugins in their folders should be able to be backed up to an external drive

1 Like

Thank you guys I’ll give it a go,
Then once on the external hard drive I’m hoping guessing I can un instal the programs from the mac completely, I do know the proper un instal process is Not drag & drop to trash as it leaves behind parts related to the app / program, I’ve always followed this technique in this short video although it’s for an earlier MacBook it still works, just incase anyone does not know this who might want to know I’ll post the video here,
I have wondered tho as mines a later mac if there is a quicker work around in a proper program un instal maybe Apple have made an easier complete un instal work around,
Sorry if this sounds like two topics under one it’s not meant to be, is just the last process for freeing up space once I have achieved the above in my original question.
Many thanks

Drag and drop and use app cleaner

Even uninstall leaves crap behind

1 Like

Thank you Chris

Sorry to ask where do I find app cleaner ? As I’ve not seen that on my mac,
Thank you

https://freemacsoft.net/appcleaner/

1 Like

Thanks for the link mate I’ll get on that later much appreciated,
Going back to the original question as I’m now aware I think I can delete the programs I want to & start from fresh by setting them up on the ssd, but then I guess I might as well just drag & drop them to the ssd as rich said,
Many thanks as always for all the help ….

1 Like

If you didn’t buy from the app store you most likely have the install DMG file. As others have said keep your serial number in a notes file (or similar) with your logon details. You can safely copy and paste the DMG to you new drive and should be able to run it from the new drive and install it again with the option of which drive the APP file and associated contents file is stored on.

If you dont want to use a mac cleaner. use file manager to show your apps folder find the app you want to delete right click your mouse or double finger tip the track pad and select show package contents. a new window will open . send the contents folder to the bin, go back to the app folder and the app will be greyed out, click on it and send it to the bin. This cleans most of the app from your system you may have a folder in your Documents folder with any saved app specific files normally named similar to the app name, you may want to keep these.

1 Like

This method very rarely cleans anything from the application support folder where lots of sneaky shit is