My delve in to the world of the DJI Inspire

Well, after my hydro dipped Inspire 1 mod several months ago, it’s been a while since I posted in this thread so it’s time I shared the latest mod with you all :grimacing:

You may recall the Titan Atlas active antenna mod that I did on my Mavic Pro?

Well, you can probably guess what’s coming…

:grimacing:

Yup!

Inspire controller modded to take the Titan Atlas :scream: :bowing_man:

I won’t do another tutorial for the modding itself, the process is the same as the Mavic controller mod. Open controller, disconnect existing antennas and removed, fit new QMA connectors in place, re-assemble.

Plus, Titan have an excellent tutorial video which does a better job of explaining it that I could:

Titan sell a mod kit on it’s own, for various DJI controllers, so you only need one Atlas amplifier and can then quickly swap it between aircraft.

Here’s roughly what the kit looks like, it’s somewhat universal for some RCs (Inspire, Phantom, et al):

For the Inspire 1, you’ll also need a separate trace patch antenna if you use two controllers in a Master / Slave configuration.

The reason for this is because one of the two antennas actually has two antennas inside it, giving you three antennas in all. So the removal of the OEM antennas will kill off the communication between two remotes.

5.8GHz patch, it’s an extra $10 quid:

Anyway, video above if you want to see the mod process in action.

Skipping directly to the end result, here’s what we have, an Inspire 1 controller fitted with the Titan T-Lock system that allows you to use just the whip antennas on their own, or the powered amplifier for that extra oomph.

Also fitted here is the DJI CrystalSky quick release mount. It needs a slightly longer screw due in the top after this mod, as a couple of mm are lost by by the Titan T-lock bracket now sandwiched in the middle.

So that’s the T-lock and the quick release connectors in place.

And as per the Mavic mod, you can just clip the whip antennas directly on if you like and you’re good to go :+1:t2:

These are the 7dBi ones. They do a 5dBi and a 9dBi, but they’re chuffing huge! You’ll have someones eye out :rofl:

And for comparison purposes, here’s how it looks next to an unmodded controller.

Then with the all important Atlas kit fitted :grimacing:

And last but not least, the whole shebang, complete with CSU:

And again, next to the unmodded RC for comparison:

There’s no denying, there is a significant bit of weight with everything attached. A lanyard is essential in this configuration.

I might try a tripod mount and split the CS and the Atlas out on to the tripod and just connect the controller via the 6ft long car-kit cables that I have. Another option is to attach the car kit to the drone case and use it as a base station, then just the CS and RC in my hand. Will see how it goes…

I am itching to fly this thing now :smiley:

Don’t forget guys and gals, we have exclusive discounts in place with both Titan Drones and MaxxUAV - check out the #members-only category for details :+1:t2:

4 Likes