My first attempt at editing

Hi guys, You will probably guess by watching this short video that I’m a bit of a novice at flying and editing but for a first attempt I don’t think it’s too bad. There’s not a great deal of footage or photos to show due to this awful weather but hopefully things will brighten up and I’ll get flying again. The pics and video were taken around Halifax and The edit software I used was Filmora9. Currently I’ve got the Filmora9 and Davinci Resolve editors, the former seems a lot easier to use but I’m determined to crack both. I’ve obviously got a lot to learn with both flying and editing but while the weather is a little depressing I’ll crack on with the editors. Use the link to access the short video. Hope you like :blush:

7 Likes

Just to add to that, I think i should of put the above in Videos by drone🙄

Topic moved to #videos

1 Like

Great video mate, all these editing platforms can be a bit overwhelming at first but once you’ve nailed it it’s like riding a bike.
I too use both Filmora & DaVinci, my preferred is DaVinci, I feel it has more scope with colour grading.

Cracking first attempt though, look forward to the next one. :ok_hand::+1:t4:

2 Likes

Well thanks for that McSteamy. That’s what I like about this site, you guys give loads of encouragement. I don’t mind good or bad criticism, it all helps. When I first started flying I knew it would be a huge learning curve, for me anyway but boy, am I enjoying it. I think I’ve spent more time with editing than with flying :joy: but that’s down to the weather. It has given me time to learn a little about editing though.
Thanks again fella :+1:

3 Likes

Totally agree, I always use the saying “everydays a school day” learning all the time, wether it’s flying techniques or editing and the only way to nail it, is to crack on.

You had some really smooth transitions in there, the colour grade was good and loved the “dronie wave” at the beginning :wave:t3:
Would of been nice to of maybe seen a little more movement, but what I did see was great. :ok_hand:

2 Likes

Thanks again fella. I haven’t had chance to capture enough video for movement tbh. Since I bought my drone it’s done nothing but snow, blow or rain but spring is on its way so fingers crossed things will pick up :crossed_fingers:I hope I can remember how to fly :thinking:. In the mean time I’ll crack on with the editors and tutorials. Yup it’s like going back to school, but more enjoyable :rofl:. Cheers

2 Likes

Some nice footage there and I agree with @McSteamy2010 on the editing. I’m trying out Davinci myself but it if you want a great mobile editor for iPad and iPhone try LumaFusion. It’s easy to use when out and about and produces good results. Not sure if it’s available on Android. Keep up the good work.

2 Likes

First video? Good stuff, get on with the next one!!

1 Like

Well done Beejay good first attempt nice transitions. I started with filmora then quickly moved to DR which I find much better for colour grading there are plenty of YouTube vids to learn from.
Looking forward to your next and yes it’s great to learn something new every day. :ok_hand:

Great Opening Video Baz, just a bit of advice ( not criticism) on the flying front.
Slow down your Yaw Rates in your settings on the drone (left & right turn) it will make the drone turn less “snappy” and give you smooth ,and slower turns.
You can also do the same with the speed that the camera tilts up and down slower, makes for a more cinematic look.
It’s a bit trial and error, but, it can give you much better results, and, make editing easier to do.
You do not need to take the drone any distance to get it right, just experiment with the setting in a close hover, then try the setting on the controller, it’s surprising the difference it will make !!.
Not to take away anything from a great opening video, keep up the great work.
The weather will break soon, for sure,
Will be good for you to get out and add a few more hours to you flight data.

2 Likes

It’s always difficult when you cannot get out and fly and practice to hone your flying skills.
Basic skills are acquired and perfected with practice, by repeating, over, and over again.
I always advise new flyers to only do what you are comfortable with.
Carrying out just basic manoeuvres, until you can do it without thinking.
I always tell people to do the basic moves, take off, fly forward with the tail of the drone towards you, fly left a bit, fly right a bit, practice small turns.
Then turn the drone to face you (remembering the controls are reversed!) then do the same moves again, and, keep repeating doing it until it becomes second nature.
Just trying to help, not telling you how to suck an egg !.

3 Likes

In addition, hope you don’t mind Chris…
in the Mavic pro settings, not sure if it’s the same for yours beejay but in camera settings, set the camera to follow if it’s not already, this starts the camera turning before the drone turns extra smooth footage.

3 Likes

Hi fellas and thanks for all the comments and advice. I’m certainly going to take on board everything that’s been said. Like you say Chrisjohnbaker it’s all trial and error. Like my dad used to say, “if you don’t listen you won’t learn” so I’m listening to everything. Any criticism isn’t always bad criticism, it’s that learning curve thing and I’m learning listening to you guys. Thanks again. :+1:

3 Likes

Not at all Steve, It’s great having experienced all these problems ourselves (at some point) and pass on any tips that we think may be of help to anyone.
I would rather someone ask, than make the mistakes, and then regret it !.

1 Like

Thanks for your comments Scubadave, appreciated. Just to answer your post regarding the editors. ( Maybe this should go into another thread on which video editor) but I’ll carry on. I downloaded DR after reading loads on GA and when I opened it up I thought :flushed: now what!! So I turned to Amazon Kindle a sorted a how to tutorial for beginners for DR. It’s kinda hard going as it’s a page by page follow this step tutorial. But it does go into detail with ever action and button. So it’s slow going but very informative. You have to create videos and save them then move on. It’s great. When I downloaded Filmora 9 I found it easier to use but just because I’d learnt quite a bit with DR. I’ll work my way through DR and apply the DR knowledge to Filmora. Probably use both at the end of it. Initially I upgraded my PC to run DR so that may be my choice.
I read quite a bit of your tips and comments on here and found them useful. Cheers :+1:

For DR - take a look at the free courses by Film Simplified

I’ve invested in their full course (when it was on an attractive Black Friday deal) for more advanced skills, and find them very good indeed.

YouTube how-tos are probably better than a written guide … imo … and there are plenty out there.

Thanks OzoneVibe. Wow there’s a lot of information out there for sure. The courses you mention look great but on my budget and the time I have they wouldn’t pay for themselves so I’ll go for the YouTube vids I think. Is there any particular channel to follow you that you would recommend or just trawl through? I find that some videos bore me stupid cos they just drone on, pardon the pun. I’ll certainly look how it be. Cheers :+1:

Ah sorry, I’ve just realised you said free courses and on line. What a numpty I am. I’ll get into that my friend me thinks. Thanks a bunch OzoneVibe.
I’ve just got up and half asleep I’m afraid. I work nights unfortunately but hay ho it pays the bills
Cheers👍

1 Like

Nice shots Beejay, pretty good considering its your first edit :+1:. Transitions are quite smooth and some good shots you got. Like has already been said YouTube is definitely the place to learn more about editing/ flying drones, I have learnt so much from just watching videos.