My first shoot with my Mavic Mini Severn Estuary

I have been a bit nervous of flying my Mavic Mini, but plucked up courage and went to Severn Beach near Bristol to shoot at Sunset. I hopeyou like![DJI_0058|690x388]

24 Likes

Hi @Crocodiddly

Know what you mean about the nervousness. I recently got my Mini and It’s a bit disconcerting at first having that little black dot in the sky out of your reach. :rofl:

From an aesthetic point of view (and it really depends on personal taste) the sky in photos are either the main focus or just background. In the second photo the bridge is the focal point so all the extra sky isn’t needed. Composition is an art and difficult to acheive while you’re stressing over keeping the beast under control. I did a little crop as an experiment (hope you don’t mind) and (for me) I like the more pano look of the image. To do good images you don’t have to use the whole frame so don’t be afraid to crop.

Look forward to more pics from you.

Cheers. Dave…

5 Likes

Hi Dave,
Thank you very much for your comments and tips. Very much appreciated.

Stay safe and well.

Colin

2 Likes

Nice images! Like @Hellcat said cropping can help improve composition. I hope you don’t mind, but I did the same and cropped one of your images. Your first image is lovely but I feel there is a bit too much dark foreground. By cropping some of it off takes your horizon line up to near the top third. Thinking of the rule of thirds when shooting can help your composition and may mean you don’t need to crop. Hope this helps :+1:t2:
09fa9cf0897f64768f62bf7d1607285a7d4ac280_2_690x388

5 Likes

Yes thank you for your help.
Stay safe and well

1 Like

@Crocodiddly lovely photos. If this is what you can do as a nervous rookie I look forward to when you have built up your confidence! :+1:t2:

1 Like

Beautiful colours - well done.
:+1:t2:

1 Like

:grinning: I’ve found it’s a bit dangerous to ask advice on photography in this group - they’ve been running me ragged over my “Buchaille” pics and then “Forth Bridges” :crazy_face:
It has been helpful though - this is what I’ve learned “enrich the colour and adjust the curves”… or as one person said “HDR the sh1t out of it”!!

I like the soft coolness in your original…
as I said… beautiful

5 Likes

Stunning photos, I am so focused on smooth flying for the video and taking the photo, but the group have come up with some great ideas/tips, I’ve learnt something today.

2 Likes

Its sometimes the only way to rescue

2 Likes

Nice and very pleasant shot well done with your first :clap: :star::star::star::star::star:

1 Like

stunning photo

1 Like

Thank you

Great photos really nice.

1 Like

Hi Neil, Thank you for your message.

1 Like

Playing with the results is fun and during the process I believe I’m adding more WOW to the picture but often when I put them side by side I tend to prefer much about the original. Not always but often, so on balance most of what I do (and I have no recognised credibility, nor should I) alterations end up very minimal and subtle to remove artefacts and poor balance rather than try to enhance anything.
I really like your originals @Crocodiddly

Thank you very much for your kind words.